My Books!

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Thursday Thirteen: The 1940's


Today's Thursday Thireen is straight from the 1940's. I’ve been doing some research for a book set in the 1940’s, and I’ve found it to be a fascinating era. I’d like to share some of my research with you. Let’s begin with thirteen slang terms from the 1940’s.

Adam and Eve on a raft--restaurant slang for bacon and eggs with toast.

Bluenose - An excessively puritanical person, a prude, Creator of "the Blue Nozzle Curse."

Drugstore Cowboy - a guy that hangs around on a street corner trying to pick up girls.

Flat Tire - A dull witted, insipid, disappointing date. Same as pill, pickle, drag, rag, oilcan.

Hotsy-Totsy - Pleasing.

Keen - Attractive or appealing

Pinch - To arrest.

Soitently- Sure!

GAMS-a woman's legs

Pennies From Heaven-easy money

Creep-despicable person

Ameche-to telephone

Hi-de-ho-hello

And don't you love the picture? No one exemplifies the 1940's more than Bogey and Bacall.

2 comments:

  1. Could you please leave me an email where I can reach you? I'd like to send you a book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you put that in English, please?

    ReplyDelete