My Books!

Saturday, August 31, 2013

Saturday Sample: Christmas is Coming

Thank goodness it's Saturday!  I've got Monday off, and I hope you do too. My Saturday sample today comes from my Christmas novel The Best Selling Toy Of The Season, a Melange Books release.  In this excerpt, my hero Tommy is on a first date with my heroine Nikki, but unfortunately, Nikki couldn't get a baby sitter so she had to take her kids with her.  You can find The Best Selling Toy Of The Season at http://www.melange-books.com/authors/elainecantrell/cantrellthebestsellingtoyoftheseason.html

Blurb:
Can a beautiful unwed mother from the wrong side of town find happiness with a rich lawyer?
Not if his family can help it.

Excerpt:
The Chicken Shack was located several miles outside of town,

and when Tommy slipped on the greasy floor, he guessed that the

business specialized in fried chicken. They seated themselves at a

booth with a scarred Formica tabletop that needed a good washing.

Undeterred, Nikki took a paper napkin from the holder on the table

and wiped away the rings left by the previous occupants’ glasses.

“I hope you don’t mind sitting beside Michael,” she said. “It’s

easier to talk if you and I are facing each other.”
 

“I don’t mind. Michael and I are buddies.” He turned to Michael

and asked, “Did you like what Santa brought you?”
 

“I sure did. It was the best Christmas ever.”
 

Teddy snickered. “You said that last year.”
 

“I did not!”
 

“Yes, you did.”
 

A loud and lively conversation broke out. It took Nikki a few

moments to quell the riot. Good. The noise had made his ears ring.
 

Nikki propped her elbows on the table and frowned at Teddy who

looked ready to argue. “I wish that Dan was here. He can always

make the boys mind. All he does is give them a look, and they behave

just fine. I think it’s because he’s a man. Boys respond to a man better

than a woman.”
 

Privately Tommy hoped that he, too, would be able to compel the

respect of Nikki’s boys, for that’s what made the children obey Dan,

respect.
 

Michael tugged on Tommy’s sleeve. “Mister? Hey, Mister.”
 

“What do you want them to call you?” interrupted Nikki.
 

“They can call me Tommy.”
 

“You interrupted me,” Michael complained.
 

“Go on then.”
 

Michel did so. “Are you going to be our daddy?”

No comments:

Post a Comment