My Books!

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Snippet Sunday and Weekend Writing Warriors

Welcome to my blog. Do you know about Snippet Sunday and Weekend Writing Warriors? A group of authors get together each week to share snippets from their work. You can find more snippets at:
http://www.wewriwa.com and at https://www.facebook.com/groups/SnippetSunday/

My snippet takes place right where I ended up last week. My hero has told my heroine that he had an affair and now has a child with the woman, a child he intends to bring into their home. I used some creative punctuation and added a dialogue tag in the last sentence to use more text. In the real version I don't have those semicolons. This is unedited so if you see something give a yell.

Nodding, she stumbled on her way to the door. “Wait,” he begged; he wasn’t a man who begged, but he’d do it now and be happy for the chance. “I’m sorry; so sorry. I’ve never done a thing like that before or since, and if there was any way to undo it I would. I love you more than my own life, and I betrayed you. That hurts me almost as much as it’s hurt you. You’re my whole world, and I’ve torn your heart out.” He drew a deep breath and said, “But even for you I can’t give him up.”

8 comments:

  1. So, the main story is about their reconciliation and also maybe her stuggle to accept the child?

    It sounds like the perfect, emotionally-rich playground for your talents, Elaine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great snippet. I'm really curious to know how this story plays out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do admire his devotion to the child but wow, wrenching situation. Excellent excerpt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch. This sounds like a very heart-wrenching and emotionally rewarding story. I'm looking forward to reading it when you're done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man. He might have had a chance with all his words. But the last statement is going to drive the gap bigger. Great snippet, Elaine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Problems with the expectation of monogamy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was some pretty fine begging... right up until the end. Heavy stuff, nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hum, I get that he can't give up the child but he might get with the mother as well.
    She needs time and I hope she keeps on walking.

    ReplyDelete