My Books!

Saturday, January 9, 2016

Snippet Sunday and Weekend Writing Warriors

Welcome to Snippet Sunday and Weekend Writing Warriors, your chance to sample the work of a talented group of authors. When you finish here you can find more snippets at:
http://www.wewriwa.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SnippetSunday/

Blurb:
Susan English can’t stand Robin Lanford! She’s so full of herself she irritates everyone on the faculty of Fairfield High. When Robin bets Susan fifty dollars that she can’t get a date with Kurt Deveraux, the head football coach, Susan jumps at the chance to put the little heifer in her place. She had no idea that teaching Robin a lesson would irrevocably change her life, strain treasured friendships, and throw two families into chaos.

We're picking up where we left off last week. Susan just told her friend Melissa that she wished she hadn't made the bet, but if she cancels, Robin will think it's because she can't get him, and Melissa just agreed with her. She told Susan that Kurt would never know about the bet so why worry. This next snippet is when Susan goes home that afternoon.

Susan threw her keys into the basket on the kitchen cabinet and flung her book bag into the closet. It was so much fun putting that thing away on Friday! “Here, kitty, kitty,” she called.

An ancient yellow cat with chewed up ears and inscrutable green eyes strolled into the kitchen.

Samson was fifteen years old and didn’t get around too well anymore, but he had lived with Susan since he was a kitten. She confided in him as she did in no one else. Samson never criticized and always made her feel better.

“Hey, boy,” she crooned as she scooped the cat up and scratched his chin. “What did you do today? I got myself into hot water at school with a stupid bet.” 

The Captain and the Cheerleader is available at Smashwords, Amazon, and Barnes and Noble.

15 comments:

  1. I love the addition of the cat. It's make her even more likable. This is a great story, Elaine. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the description of the cat -- it's the star of this scene!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talking with your cat as if expecting a verbal reply, well meow counts doesn't it - I adore this scene, it just warms things up (btw, I find my cats to be great conversationalists).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta love a heroine who discusses her life with her cat! I *might* have one or more who does the same thing. ;-) Great snippet!

    ~Joyce Scarbrough

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can really "see" Sampson. Great snippet -- makes me like the character a lot more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious story even more so now that the cat is a main character. We have 4 hand - me -up cats and they are kind of wonderful to talk to. Love the story and I'm anxious to find out the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, like that a cat is now in the mix. Hot water indeed...and I'm betting it'll be scalding by the time this bet has seen its way to the end! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kitties make great friends and confidants, no doubt. Love the snippet and look forward to reading more. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the cat! I have three of them trying to steal my body heat as I type. You learn a lot about people from how they treat animals--like loving an old, battered tomcat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nothing better than a good chat with the cat. Nice addition.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Always good to have a cat to tell your troubles to! I'm enjoying the flow of the story, great excerpt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay kitties! Nothing quite like adding a cat as a sidekick and furry philosopher. Makes me wanna go snuggle my old fat tom myself. :-) Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's good that she has a cat. I can see the need for a lot of cuddle in her near future.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the description of the cat! Animals are always secretly the ones we confide in with any fear of judging or blabber-mouthing. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Everybody needs a Samson in their life. Very well-captured.

    ReplyDelete