My Books!

Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Put Books Under Your Tree



Besides being an author, I was a social studies teacher at our local high school for thirty five years. A few years ago, I noticed something very unusual going on in my first period class. I was standing in front of the class discussing feudalism with the kids, but three of the girls weren’t listening to me. Not that they always listen to me, mind you, but these girls weren’t talking. They weren’t passing notes, sleeping, or trying to do their homework before it was due. So, what were they doing? They were reading.

Yes, reading, and yes, it’s a very big deal. The majority of my students say they don’t care for reading. They say it’s boring. Almost, I don’t blame them. If I never read anything but textbooks, I’d think reading was boring too.

Okay, they don’t read. Is that a problem? You bet it is! How can students develop reading comprehension skills if they don’t read? I bet readers score higher on standardized tests, and of course all of you readers know how reading can enrich your life. 

The girls were reading Twilight. I asked them if it was good, and you should have heard them carrying on. One of them told me she’d never read an entire book in her life until she started Twilight. She was almost finished with it and already had New Moon ready to read. I was so intrigued I bought a copy of Twilight that very day.

The book was okay, but more importantly this experience impressed on me the need to provide young people with books they can enjoy, books that’ll make readers of them. So, this Christmas please consider a gift of books for any young adult or child on your list. In the long run it’ll be of more use to them than another sweater or video game.

If you want to give this author a Christmas gift, pick up one of my books. Most are available in print or electronic form. I hope everyone has a very happy holiday season.

No comments:

Post a Comment