My Books!

Tuesday, March 17, 2020

My Love Affair With Books


My love affair with books began when my parents read Little Golden Books to me.  I remember one that especially impressed me.  I wish I could remember the title, but it’s long gone.  It was about a family of pigs who were so messy no one would go to see them.  After they finally cleaned up their house, they had tons of visitors.  I also remember a book about Woody Woodpecker.  After my mother read that one to me, I wrote my first story which I dictated to my father who wrote it in pencil on a piece of notebook paper.  I was every bit of five years old then.  
Later, after I learned to read, my mother made a treat out going to the library each week.  The minute she got home from work she’d take my sister and me to the library.  Afterward, we’d go to eat hot dogs at the local diner.  It wasn’t anything special, but at an early age we learned to associate reading with good times.  
Having learned to love reading, I was never without a good book close by.  I read so many good ones!  Black Beauty, Little Women, Anne of Green Gables, The Sherwood Ring, the Trixie Belden mysteries, My Friend Flicka, the Black Stallion series, the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew, and so many more!  I wish I could remember them all. 
I was content to be a reader until about ten years ago.  I had gone through a period where nothing special caught my fancy.  At the same time my son wrote a book.  I decided to give it a try too.  To my surprise, it totally captivated me.  I spent long hours before the computer writing the kind of story I wanted to read and couldn’t find.  I became totally addicted to writing.  I even took my computer with me on vacation so I wouldn’t miss a single day writing.
Did I stop reading because I was now an author?  No indeed.  If you’ll check my Goodreads page you’ll find a sample of the things I’ve read in the recent past.  I just finished Careless in Scarlett.
Whenever I need an escape from my reality, books are always there to provide it.  My life is richer today because of all the wonderful things I’ve read in the past, and I know my future will be filled with many more happy hours reading.  Parents, read in front of your kids.  Teach them to love books.  Their lives will be richer for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment