My Books!

Tuesday, May 12, 2020

For Aspiring Writers


Many times when people find out I’m a writer they’ll say, “I always wanted to write a book too.” My answer? “That’s great. You should do it.” All the while I’m aware that most of them were just making conversation, but if you really want to write, here are a few items for you to consider.
First, decide what kind of book you want to write. Biography? Romance? Science Fiction?  I feel that you need to nail that down before you get started. Once you’ve figured that out you might want to see if your type of book is selling well in the current market. This might make a difference when it comes to sales. Naturally if you write a book you’d like for people to read it.
Second, don’t think you’re finished after you type The End on your manuscript. If you want your book to do well it will need to be edited. I spend lots more time editing than I do writing, and I always find errors even after myself and a professional editor have gone through the manuscript. Sometimes they’re so small no one would notice them except me, but I want my book to be as close to perfect as possible.
Third, you have to decide whether you will try to self publish the book or send it to a publishing house. There are pros and cons either way so do your research. I’ve always had a publishing house do my books. I don’t know if I’m technologically savvy enough to do it myself.
Fourth, and this one may just be the most important one, don’t get discouraged. With patience and effort you can work out any issue with your story. Just don’t quit. The same thing is true if you send your manuscript to a publisher and they reject it. Don’t quit. What may be wrong for one publisher may be just right for another.
Lastly, enjoy yourself. Write for the sheer pleasure of writing. Tell your story and enjoy every single minute of the experience. Find a group of authors you can interact with whether it’s online or in the real world. You’ll learn from each other, and you’ll have a really good support system to cheer you on.
Good luck!

10 comments:


  1. Your article is valuable for me and for others.

    ReplyDelete

  2. Thanks for sharing your this great work of yours.

    ReplyDelete

  3. Wow this blog is awesome. Wish to see this much more like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Post! I look forward to seeing more from you in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really helpful post and very informative there is no doubt about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everyone an extremely breathtaking chance to read from this blog.

    ReplyDelete

  7. Nice post. I learn something totally new and challenging on blogs I stumbleupon everyday.

    ReplyDelete

  8. This excellent website truly has all of the info I wanted concerning this subject and didn’t know who to ask

    ReplyDelete

  9. Thank you for the good information you share with us.

    ReplyDelete