My Books!

Tuesday, July 14, 2020

More Time to Write, Right?

We’ve previously discussed how summers typically affect our writing schedules or outputs, but this summer of 2020 was unique in many ways. Tell us whether these unique factors affected your writing… and whether that was to the “good” or the “bad” in terms of output.
To say that the summer of 2020 is unique is probably an understatement. I’m missing a lot of things that I always enjoy doing.
First, there’s family vacation. We always go to Garden City Beach in South Carolina, but most of the Covid 19 cases are there around the beach. Neither my son nor I wanted to take the chance of anyone getting sick. So, no vacation this year.
I’ve also had to cancel several standing weekly events that I enjoy. No more weekly dinners with my friends, no more church study group, no more Saturday nights with people we’ve gone out with for over a quarter of a century. I feel unsafe to even hop in the car and drive downtown to shop for things I really need, things like chocolate, sandals, or puppy dog treats. I’ve been good and mostly stayed home because I already have lung issues. I really don’t need Covid 19.
So, now I have more time to write, right? Well, not really. I sit down in front of my computer, and if I reach a place in the story that requires a little more concentration I’ll just quit. I tell myself that I’ll do it tomorrow after I get up when my brain is sharpest. And most of the time I do try, but somehow having a whole day in front of me with nothing to do sucks all my motivation away. I have a completed manuscript that needs a final edit before I send it in, but I can’t make myself do it. Apparently, the busier I am the easier it is for me to accomplish tasks. Before I retired I longed for more writing time, but I now plainly see that I should be careful what I wish for.
What about you? Do you do better when you’re busier?

No comments:

Post a Comment