My Books!

Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Beyond the Book: Desks


 “What is in your desk drawers?”

I had a desk in my study for maybe twenty five years. It was a cheap if well designed desk with plenty of room for everything. In my right top drawer I had a dazzling array of pens, pencils, and markers. It was probably twice as much as I ever could have used up. 

I had chosen the bottom drawer to store our family pictures in. It was full to overflowing, but somehow I never found the time to organize it. 

The top left drawer was filled with various office supplies; post it notes, paper clips, rulers, index cards, glue, etc. 

The bottom left drawer contained printer paper and various notebooks. 

I had a comfortable desk chair, and the top of the desk was the perfect height. I could sit there and write all morning. 

Well, when I retired we decided to redo the study. It turned out to look beautiful, but my nice desk had seen better days, and it was too far gone to repair. We replaced it with a simply gorgeous antique desk that matched the custom bookcases we’d had built. As I said it was a beautiful room.

However, I found that I just couldn’t work in that room anymore. The desk was just a little too tall, and I was afraid to eat in the room for fear I’d drop something on the new rug. My husband wasn’t too sad for me. He said, “If you don’t want it I’ll take it.” So that’s what happened. The drawers are filled with his stuff now. 

So what did I do? I found exactly what I wanted at Amazon. I can sit in my recliner and write to my heart’s content. As you can see from the picture, I do usually have some company. Will I ever get another desk? I doubt it. I’m happy just the way I am.

Oh, where do I keep my papers and things? See the curio cabinet in the picture? I keep them behind those two doors on the bottom. 

Would you miss a desk if you didn’t have one?

2 comments:

  1. I work at a desk for projeects like scrapbooking but I haven't used a desk for writing and the like in years. My feet swell when they are in a dependent position for too long. It actually works better for me to sit with my legs up on a couch or bed so my feet aren't hanging down. I have a wireless keyboard and mouse, so that is how I roll.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a plan! Whatever works, right?

    ReplyDelete