My Books!

Friday, September 19, 2008

Interview with Beth Trissel

Hi readers! You're in for a treat today. Please welcome author Beth Trissel to the blog.




Beth,




1.Tell us a little bit about youself, including how you came to be a writer.


Thank you for having me as a guest! To answer your question, research into family genealogy, my early English/Scots-Irish forebears, and a deep-seated fascination with early America and the Shawnee Indians inspired my initial writing journey.


2.What genre do you prefer? Would you ever write in something else?


I love historical romance and have a tendency to mix in paranormal elements. Increasingly so, and am also writing light paranormal with historical elements. Depending on which element is the strongest, determines which romance genre a story falls into. I write for both the American and Faery Rose lines at the Wild Rose Press. If I wrote something else, it would probably be mystery. Somewhere My Love has a lot of mystery in it.


3.Tell the readers a little bit about your writing day.


Ideally, I write. Summer has been insane with the demands of family. I’m eager for fall and a return to my routine.


4.I'm always surprised at how many people ask me about my work space. (It's a mess.) Tell us about yours, please.


My bedroom, at this point. You definitely don’t want to ‘go there.’


5.How long does it take you to write a book? How many books do you produce in a year?


Writing time for me can vary from three-six months to five years because each novel is so different. Enemy of the King was my toughest novel to complete. I would like to average at least one book a year.


6.What's the hardest part of writing for you?


Writing. J Actually sticking with a project no matter what and finishing the story.


7.Most authors are also avid readers. Is this the case with you? If so,


Not lately, aside from research. I love reading but suspect I may have to take early retirement in order to have the time to really read. My TBR pile is up to my chin or would be, most if it’s in the form of digital downloads.


Who are some of your favorites? Have any influenced your writing?


Going back in the distant recesses of time, I’d have to say Jane Austen, Baroness Orczy, who wrote The Scarlet Pimpernel, Daphne Du Maurier…to name just a few. I was brought up reading the classics by my English professor father, then I discovered people don’t actually write like that anymore. I had years worth of learning ahead of me after I crafted that first rough draft.


8.Please tell us about your new release, including where we can buy it.


Somewhere My Love is a murder mystery/ghost story romance with flashbacks to early nineteenth century Virginia. The idea for the story came to me after I toured old plantation Homes along the James River, the setting for ‘Somewhere.’ This Faery Rose novel will be available at the Wild Rose Press starting Sept. 26th. http://thewildrosepress.com/


The trailer for ‘Somewhere’ is getting a lot of hit on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpBh0tPOVUM


I’ve also signed for three other novels to be released in the not too distant future. Please check my website for details.




An excerpt from Somewhere My Love:


A cold finger laid its icy touch on Julia and ran
down the length of her spine. “How did it happen?”
“He’s said to have been run through by the very
man who made that mark on the door. A Mr.
Cameron. Scottish fellow he was, back in...” Mrs.
Hensley pursed her thin lips, blue eyes distant. “Ah,
yes, 1806. Some fuss over a woman.”


“How dreadful. What about Mr. Cameron?”


“The friend of a neighbor, I believe. He escaped
and was never found. No justice was ever done in the
matter.”


Julia hesitated, then asked, “And the woman?”


“Heartbroken, poor thing. She returned to
England. She was a guest of the Wentworth family
and greatly enamored of Cole. All the young ladies
were, but he had a particular fascination with this
girl.”


“Why was she so special?”


“Apart from her legendary beauty? She had an
angelic quality about her. Or so the story goes.”


An irrational jealousy twanged a jarring note in
Julia. In the space of a few short minutes she’d
fallen in love with the man in the portrait—typical
of her impractical nature and unlikely to advance
her nonexistent love life. And yet, she couldn’t help
plunging into this sweet madness.


She tore her eyes from the painting. “Do you
recall the lady’s name?”


Mrs. Hensley gave a little laugh. She tapped a
finger to her furrowed forehead. “Isn’t that odd? It
was Julia something...hmmmm.”


Was Mrs. Hensley teasing her? She had to
know.


“I’ve got it. Julia Maury,” the guide continued
and arched graying brows. “You’re from England,
aren’t you, Miss Morrow? Tread with care here, my
girl. We don’t want you stirring up any ghosts.
Foxleigh has enough already.”


For those of you who didn't know, Beth was a Golden Heart finalist. Yes! What a thrill. I finaled with the lead story in my colonial frontier trilogy, Through the Fire, coming to the Wild Rose Press, release date TBD.Thanks for doing the interview, Beth. I'll send you an email when it's posted.


Thanks for having me!








6 comments:

  1. Thank you, Beth, for the lovely interview. Love the story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, Beth. I always enjoy reading about you are your writing. Glad you're a Pink Fuzzy Slipper Writer and my pal.

    Sorry ya godd a codd in ya dose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh great, now MY TBR pile is going to be an unwieldy teetering pile (UTTBR). Your excerpt hooked me and I'm going to have to get it. Drat you, Beth Trissel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview Beth, I can't wait to read all your books. My TBR list is growing by the minute but I'll make room.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview Beth. Somewhere My Love sounds like a wonderful book, going to have to add it to my BTB list.

    ReplyDelete