My Books!

Friday, September 25, 2009

The Evolution Of The American Family


The summer before I started the first grade my mother and father bought a house in one of the newest neighborhoods in our small town. Guess what they paid for it. Eight thousand dollars. It was bigger than the national average but only had one bathroom. A generation later my husband and I bought a house that was about average in price. We paid thirty five thousand dollars for it. Sounds too good to be true, doesn't it, and in some places it was. We live in the South where prices are cheaper.

If you like looking at statistics across the decades you'll enjoy a photo essay done by Woman's Day magazine. The essay showed the evolution of the American family, and it deals not just with housing prices but family size, the price of eggs, and much more. By the way, don't get freaked out by the price of eggs. The magazine adjusted all prices for inflation. Here's the link: http://www.womansday.com/wd2/Content/Family-Lifestyle/Evolution-of-the-Household. Hope you enjoy your trip to the past.

I have a new excerpt up in the CRR contest. Please don't forget to vote for me. If you have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about, please look at last week's post.

No comments:

Post a Comment