My Books!

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Welcome Rebecca Rose


Hello, guests! Please join me in welcoming Rebecca Rose to the blog. Rebecca, thank you so much for coming. Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

First, I want to say thank you Elaine for having me. It’s a real honor to be here.
About myself, eh? Well… I write contemporary romance novels for Lyrical Press. I’m also on their blurb editing team. I started a review site on my blog-- www.authorrebeccarose.blogspot.com where I review other romance novels from sweet to erotic romance. And, I’m currently editing a YA manuscript for a friend of mine. When work isn’t pulling at me, I’m with my three children, ages 6 to 14, and my husband of 16 years. I live out in the country with four cats, a dog, and a turtle. (No, I won’t touch the turtle!) LOL That’s my daughter’s.

LOL I don't do turtles either. When did you realize that you were a “real” writer?

The first time I had an article published in our hometown magazine. I was like, “WOW, holy sh*t, I wrote that!” Then I kept writing, thinking this was a fluke thing, and the stories kept getting published. When I finished my first novel, the feeling of accomplishment was so immense that I didn’t know what to do next. I felt that same feeling of, “Yes, I’m a ‘real’ writer, now.” So, I went on a 4 year search for a publisher. I was picked up by Lyrical Press, Inc and thought to myself, “Dude! You did it! You’re a real writer! But can you do it again?” I wrote my second novel in 2 ½ weeks and it’ll be out September 20th. *giddy with excitement* It’s so cool to know that I’m a Romance Writer. I mean really? How many people do you meet on a daily basis can say that? I love my job! And with each accomplishment, I prove to myself that I’m the ‘real’ thing.

"Giddy with excitement" I know that feeling. Why do you write, Rebecca? It isn’t as easy as some people think?

I write to keep myself sane. Really, I’m not pulling your leg. I need to put down my thoughts to organize them. Plus, the people running around in my imagination demand their stories get told. No, it’s not as easy as some people think. Once in a while, I get a joker who says something to the fact that it’s not a ‘real’ job, or asks how hard can it really be. I smile and inquire if they were stellar in school when it came to writing reports and stories. They’re usually the ones who weren’t. Writing is a full-time job. If you’re not typing, you’re planning and outlining. If you’re not doing that, then you’re editing or plotting in your head. We writers never get a vacation because our stories drive us to obsession--and that’s not such a bad thing.

I've even taken my computer with me on vacation. The characters in my head were nagging me to let them out. What can readers expect when they read your books?

Emotion… I’m a firm believer in having an emotional involvement with what you’re reading. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE a good sex scene. Actually, I find it fun writing them. But, I can’t drive a story on that because I’m too nosy. I want to know why they act the way then do. Where did they come from? How were they raised? What holds them back and makes them happy? When I meet people for the first time, I have to stop myself from interrogating them. Like I said, I’m too nosy!

What or who has been your most significant inspirations for your writing?

Music. I get so many of my stories from it. Okay… I listen to country. Enough said, right? LOL But, I don’t get all my ideas from songs. Many times, someone will say something and an inspiration forms. The right song then brings the vision to life.

I'm a bluegrass fan myself. Could you share your links with us?

Sure, I’d love to! My webpage is- http://www.authorrebeccarose.com/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=1171129159
Twitter: http://twitter.com/authorRrose
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/2373263-rebecca-rose

We’d love to read an excerpt. Don’t forget to give us a buy link.

This is from my novella, Divine Redemption, which will be release September 20th. It’s the follow up to Divine Turmoil. You can find it at, http://www.lyricalpress.com/store/index.php?main_page=authors&authors_id=103&zenid=e71amhntfrkcbe0ql1p7bteug5

“Hey, Donald, I need that expense report. Where are you?”

“Under the desk.” Since Donald started working for the Allens, he’d learned a valuable lesson in patience. Not touching Jacqueline was the hardest thing he’d ever done.

“You know, Donald, there’s talk that you’re the most eligible bachelor in town.”

Donald craned his head to look at her. “That’s my chair you’re sitting in.”

“Yes, but I like the view of your behind.”

He wiggled it for her and she laughed.

“Donald, what are you looking for?”

“I dropped my paperclips.”

His dry response had another giggle coming from her. “You’re too cute.”

“I’m not trying to be cute. This job really sucks sometimes, you know.”

“But you’re so good at it.” She rubbed her foot along his bottom, then attempted to go between his legs but Donald closed them.

“We talked about this, Jacqueline.” He turned and placed a hand on each of her knees.

“I’m only flirting with you.”

“You’re sexually harassing me, and I believe there’s a strict policy about that.”

“Donald,” she said, bringing her face close to his.

“Ya.” His eyes went to her lips and back to her eyes.

“I need that expense report.”

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed the interview very much. I agree about the emotional connection we need to make with the reader. If they don't care about the characters they will not care about the story.

    ReplyDelete