My Books!

Monday, March 7, 2011

Welcome Beverley Bateman



I have a treat for you today! Beverley Bateman stopped by to say hi. Beverley, could you tell us a little bit about yourself?

I’m Canadian and live in a small town in the Okanagan Valley in British Columbia, often referred to as ‘God’s Country’. There are lots of lakes here, one after another. We have beaches and mountains, so in the summer we swim and in the winter we ski - downhill or cross-country. It’s orchard country, so we have fresh fruit all summer. It’s also wine country and we produce award winning wines and ice wines. I live on a small lake with my husband and two Shiba Inu dogs. We have a small RV and spend most of the summer traveling and camping. We’re looking at maybe becoming snowbirds. I always spend at least 2 - 3 hours writing when we travel. I try to work out at my local gym, and take cycling classes four days a week, when we’re home, hoping it balances out what I eat. I have a daughter and a son, both married, but they live some distance away. I’ve been writing for a long time. Every once in a while I think maybe I should do something else, but I know that I can’t stop writing. I love my characters and developing stories for them.

Your life sounds like fun to me. How much of yourself, your personality or your experiences, is in your books?

I’ve never actually thought about that. My background is nursing so in my medical thriller I use my background. It also helped with the research. I strongly believe in women helping women. When women unite they become stronger. This is a recurring theme in my books, so that would come from my beliefs. I’m a positive thinker so I always believe that there will be a happy ending. Some of my traveling, such as cruising, has been included in my books. So I guess a fair amount of myself is included in my books - but any sex scenes are strictly from the depths of my imagination.

LOL. That was funny. Most people think authors live glamorous lives. Describe a typical writing day.

A typical, glamorous day? Well, first I’m not a morning person so I don’t leap out of bed at the crack of dawn. I get up around 8:30 and have coffee. Four mornings a week I head for the gym where I work out and do a cycling class. Often I think about my WIP while cycling and work out problems, if I’m not working too hard.
Back home I change into a glamorous outfit consisting of a sloppy sweatshirt and stretchy tights. Then I head for the computer. It depends if I’m editing or writing. If I’m editing I read over the last few pages and then start reading and editing for the next few hours. I take a break, get more coffee, do emails and check Twitter. I’ve just discovered Focus Booster, which is a 25 minute times you can download to your desktop. Every twenty-five minutes it reminds you to stand up and take a break. After emails it’s back to editing until dinner. I make dinner and spend a little time with my hubby. After that I may watch a TV show or read. I may do a little research for a new book I’m plotting, or working on, and maybe jot down a few plot points or character background. If I’m writing a new WIP, where I put editing - substitute writing and maybe some research.

When writing a new book, how do you decide on a theme, genre, or topic?

Good question. I usually write romantic suspense or medical thrillers. So my genre doesn’t change a lot. In my present WIP I am bringing in a little paranormal - but just psychics and modern day witches and it’s still a romantic suspense. I think my themes tend to be fairly consistent; good triumphs over evil; women helping women and love wins in the end. The topic - hmm - that depends. I did a tour of a police department and listened to the officer who monitored online chat rooms for child predators. I decided that would make a good story so I wrote The Target. I saw the commercial about what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas and I wondered what would happen if someone woke up there with amnesia, and a bloody knife in the room. That’s now Waking Up in Vegas, my present WIP. The topics usually present themselves to me and the light bulb goes on.

If you could meet two authors, who would you pick and why?

Oh, wow, great question. Let’s see - probably Nora Roberts. I’d love to talk to her about her writing schedule and how she manages to be so prolific. She writes as two different people and her characterization is exception. She always manages to pull me in and I’d love to know how she does it. I’d also like to meet Greg Iles and pick his brain on how he manages to develop such terrifying plots, braid them together and keep you up reading all night.

I'd like to know how she does it too! Would you share your links with us?

My website is www.beverleybateman.com . I don’t blog yet. I did set up a site, but haven’t found the time yet. I’m on Face book under Beverley Bateman and Twitter at http://twitter.com/kelownawriter . You can also check me out at Wings http://www.wings-press.com/ and http://whiskeycreekpress.com/authors/Beverley_Bateman.shtml .

We’d love to read an excerpt from one of your books. Don’t forget to leave us a buy link.

This excerpt is from my medical thriller, JUST LIKE YOU, about cloning. The buy link is http://whiskeycreekpress.com/authors/Beverley_Bateman.shtml

Adam placed his beer mug back on the table and looked across at Evie. “How’s the residence?”

“It’s nice; small, but compact. There’s a kitchenette, and a computer, but no phone.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, I thought it was odd. It’s like they don’t want you talking to anyone in the outside world. I asked Nurse Byrne, but she gave me some ridiculous answer about not being able to get telephone wires to the residence. They have a phone at the hospital. They’ve got all that special equipment hooked up to something. I don’t see why they couldn’t hook up a bloody phone if they wanted to.”

“I’m sure there’s a logical explanation. You can always use the phone in the hospital.” Adam suggested.

“I wouldn’t count on it. Nurse Byrne said something about the phone taking our mind off our work. They can’t expect us to think about work every minute we’re awake.”
Adam hesitated. “You can always use a phone in town.”

“That’s easy for you. You have a car. I have to take a taxi to get into town and I think they only have one. Basically I’m out of touch with the rest of the world.”

“I have a phone at my place. You can always come over there and use it.”

“Really? See, that doesn’t make sense. If you have a phone, why can’t I get one?”

“I guess doctors outrank nurses. Who do you need to call anyway? I’m here.” Adam grinned across at her. Picking up her hand, he gently kissed her palm.

Evie felt the warmth rushing to her cheeks. “Well…I…I mean…”

“Like I said, you can come to my place anytime you want. I wouldn’t mind at all.” Adam waggled his eyebrows in a suggestive way.

Evie laughed. “Well I don’t know…are you trustworthy?”

“Totally, just ask me.”

Evie tried to pull her hand back but Adam held on to it until the food arrived. He picked up the burger that had been placed in front of him. “Mmm, nothing like a good old fattening hamburger.” He struggled to get his mouth around it, eventually managing to take a bite, savoring the taste.

Smiling, Evie watched him, then turned her attention to the food in front of her, a huge plate of fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy. It looked like the meals she used to eat back home. Picking up a piece of chicken with her fingers she bit through the crisp skin. The succulent white meat was cooked to perfection.

“This is excellent.” She took another bite. “I think I’m going to have to get a car. I didn’t realize how isolated I would be. I’d like to come into town whenever I feel like it. I’m not sure how dependable their taxi is.”

“If you need a ride, just let me know. I can drive you.”

“Oh no. I don’t want to be a bother. Besides you’re not always here. Is there any place around here where I could look for a car?”

“No I don’t think so.” Adam reached across and picked up her hand again, giving it a quick squeeze.

Evie felt the warmth shimmer over her. “I guess I’ll have to wait. I get the feeling I might learn patience while I’m here.”

As she pulled her hand back Evie noticed his long, artist fingers with short-clipped nails. extending from his large, square hand covered with fine, blond hairs.

He moved his hand back so it covered hers. His other hand reached across the table, tipping her chin up so she looked directly into his steely blue eyes. “You’re a very
nice person, Evie Dalton. I’m going to enjoy getting to know you better.”

Fighting the swirling emotions that he’d sent into orbit, she attempted to focus back on the hospital. “How long have you been working at Ophidian?”

“About a year. Why?”

“Doesn’t it strike you as odd?”

“Odd in what way?” Adam frowned.

“I don’t know. It’s just a feeling. The hospital seems to have more going on than just cosmetic surgery for the stars. I heard a scream last tonight. I think I heard two today.”

Adam pulled his hand away and picked up his burger. “It was birds or a wild animal. There’s nothing going on that you need to worry about. Just concentrate on my surgery and my patients.”

“But, there are parts of the hospital I haven’t even seen. They were avoided on my orientation tour.”

“If you’re not working there you to don’t need to go there. Jeez, Evie, don’t ask so many questions. Just do your work. That’s what you’re getting paid for.”

“Do you know what’s going on?” She stuck her chin forward, fixing her gaze on Adam.
“Dessert?” The waitress scooped up their plates.

“No thank you. Nothing for me.” She replied.

“No, just the bill.” Adam dugout his wallet and threw money on the table. “Let’s not ruin a great evening.”

He lowered his voice. “We get paid well and the cost of living is cheap. What more could you want?”

Before Evie answered, he stood, pulled her chair out and helped her to her feet. Turning her slightly so she faced him, running his finger gently across her lips. “You’re a beautiful woman, Evie Dalton. Don’t mess tings up with too many questions.”

Evie stared up at him for several seconds, then turned and strode over to the counter. “Give me a package of cigarettes, any brand.”

“I didn’t know you smoked.”

“I don’t. I quit years ago, but when I get really stressed or upset, I need a cigarette.”

“You can’t smoke in residence, you know. The hospital has a non-smoking policy everywhere on site.”

“I know that, Adam. I’m well aware of all their damn policies. I just don’t know what they really do at that place. And if I need a cigarette, I’ll go into the bloody woods and have one.” Evie yanked the clear cellophane wrap off the package, leaving it on the counter. “Do you have matches?”

The waitress tossed a package to Evie. “You can’t smoke in here.”

“Fine. I’ll smoke outside.” She yanked a cigarette from the package and headed out the door. Outside she leaned against the wall, lit the cigarette and took a long drag, blowing the smoke into the night air. She watched the thin stream of white smoke rise slowly then vaporize.

Adam stood watching her.

She took another drag. “A couple of puffs and I’ll put it out.”

“Take your time. I’m just surprised.”

“Like I said, I quit. I just need one every now and then.” She took another puff, tossed the cigarette to the sidewalk and ground it out with her heel, dropping the
package into her purse. “Okay, we can go now.”

They walked back to the Porsche in silence.

Adam opened the door and Evie slipped into the luxurious leather seat.
“Look…, aw jeez, never mind.” Adam strode around to the driver’s side and started the engine.

Evie stared out the window into the darkness.

Adam put in a Duke Ellington CD as the car sped quietly through the night. The motion of the car combined with the wine and the cigarette started to release some of Evie’s tension.

As they approached the hospital, an icy shiver crept out of the darkness and slithered down her spine, leaving her feeling cold and uneasy. She knew she wasn’t wrong. Something was definitely not normal here.

The car stopped in front of the residence.

“Thanks, Adam. It was fun. I’m sorry if I over-reacted.” Evie held out her hand.

Adam took her hand, pulling it to his lips and kissing the back of it gently. “I didn’t handle it well. Let’s just forget it.”

“I’d like that. I guess I wasn’t prepared for the remoteness and the secrecy. I’m sure I’ll get used to it.” Evie reluctantly pulled her hand away and opened the car door. “Thanks again for dinner. And hey, I would like to see your place sometime.”

“It’s a deal. I’ll even cook for you.”

“You cook?”

“Of course. I’m not just a pretty face.”

She chuckled. “Yeah, right. Okay. I’ll take you up on that.” Closing the car door she headed inside. At the top of the steps she turned, watching Adam drive off.
She stood staring at the huge hospital building in front of her; standing white and shimmering in the moonlight. It was chilling, like an ice palace, or even a modern day gothic mansion.

No matter what anyone said, she knew there was something abnormal going on, something they didn’t want the world to know about.

A blood curdling scream filled the air.

No comments:

Post a Comment