My Books!

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Snippet Sunday and Weekend Writing Warriors


Welcome to Snippet Sunday and Weekend Writing Warriors, your chance to sample the work of a talented group of authors. My new release Flood is now available for purchase. The buy link is at the end of the post, and I'm starting with the Prologue.

Find more lovely samples at:
http://www.wewriwa.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SnippetSunday/?fref=nf

Blurb:
Drawn together by their love of animals, Aria De Luca and Caleb Hawkins burn for each other. They never suspected that malignant forces around them were successfully plotting Caleb’s ruin from the moment he entered her life. When the flood of a century strikes Aria’s hometown, an alienated Caleb is all that stands between her and catastrophic loss.


Last Week:

 The next day Aria parked her SUV near the front door of the Pine City Animal Shelter. She and Lila got out of the vehicle and stared at the grounds of the place they’d driven two hours on a beautiful spring day to reach.

“The shelter looks nice,” Lila said.

Aria nodded. “Yeah, that’s what I was thinking.” 

The red brick building was only one story high. From the parking lot, Aria saw fenced dog runs and a small enclosure occupied by two goats. The grass had been freshly cut. All in all, it looked neat and well cared for. 

She and Lila made their way to the front door, which was made of institutional-looking gray metal and went inside where a pretty receptionist greeted them with a smile. 


This Week:
 
“Hi, can I help you? We have a special on kittens this week. The adoption fee is fifty percent off, and if you take two, we’ll knock another twenty five percent off. We have some little beauties in the back.” 

Aria smiled. “Thanks, but we didn’t come for the kittens. I’m Aria De Luca, and ...” 

“Oh, Dr. De Luca, I can’t tell you how glad I am to see you! We’ve all been so upset over Peaches and Caleb.” The woman ran around her desk and hugged both Aria and Lila. 

14 comments:

  1. Aw. Sounds like they're really happy she's coming for the dog. (Shelter staff and volunteers don't get nearly enough credit.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The receptionist is certainly demonstrative and uninhibited. I wonder how they'll respond to being hugged by a stranger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "...Peaches and Caleb..." Has my attention!



    Elaine, are you anywhere near totality for the eclipse? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully told, Elaine. I can see the scene you've painted so clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She sounds so relieved and it's good she mentioned Caleb too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I volunteer at a shelter, and I'm hearing "please, we have so many kittens! Take some!" Very accurate during "kitten season." :)
    I wonder if Peaches is the dog, or just a really strange nickname for the inmate?

    ReplyDelete

  7. I've never heard of a special offer on kittens before. The receptionist sounds a very enthusiastic worker.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who could be more welcome at an adoption center than a vet?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good thing I'm not there or I'd be going home with two more kittens,I just know it LOL. Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweet snippet. Nice show of appreciation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If she'd said puppies, you couldn't drag me away. LOL Nice snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great snippet. I have a rescue dog myself and would never buy a dog any other way. I'm intrigued by Peaches and Caleb too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Definitely want to read more... especially if it involves cute and cuddly things!

    ReplyDelete