My Books!

Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Beyond the Book: The Sentence


My excerpt today is from The Sentence. In this scene, my hero Clint just offered my heroine Rachel and engagement ring.  If you like what you read, you can find The Sentence at 
 They sat down to have their meal, which Rachel really didn’t want. Reverend Amos asked the blessing on the food, but as he said amen, the doorbell rang. “I’ll get it,” her mother said. 
They heard her talking to someone, and a minute later she came into the dining room with Clint by her side. “Look who showed up,” she said, her face alight with pleasure. “I’ve talked him into having lunch with us.”

“You didn’t have to work very hard,” Clint teased. “I remember how good your chicken pot pie is. A person with a more suspicious nature might think I came at dinner time just so you’d feed me.”

Cynthia laughed. “Like you need an excuse. You’re welcome here anytime.”

Waves of heat washed over Rachel. God must have a dreadful sense of humor. Clint didn’t immediately sit down. Rachel’s heart almost jumped out of her chest when he walked over to her and kissed her forehead right in front of her parents! They looked very interested but didn’t say anything about it.

“Are you feeling better?” Clint asked as he took his old chair across from Rachel.

“No.”

“That’s too bad. Maybe you should see the doctor tomorrow. You may need some medicine.”

“I’ll think about it,” Rachel muttered.

Rachel furtively watched as her mother passed the chicken pot pie to Clint. He looked so handsome today. Instead of jeans and a teeshirt he wore a pair of khakis and a pale blue polo shirt that made his eyes seem brighter. The shirt showed off his shoulders and chest to great advantage, but she’d try not to think about that.

Clint made small talk with them until they finished their meal. The whole time Rachel’s heart leaped and thudded at the beloved sound of his voice. He drained his tea glass and reached into his pocket, bringing out a small, blue box.
“What do you have there?” Reverend Amos asked, his eyes alight with anticipation. He reminded Rachel of a curious puppy whose ears had perked up when he saw something interesting.

“Oh, this is something for Rachel.”

Clint got up and walked around the table. He stooped down beside Rachel and took her hand. “I hope you like it, honey.”

Rachel buried her hot face on the table. “Leave me alone, Clint,” she choked.

Clint’s lips quirked. “You aren’t backing out, are you? You’re going to make me look pretty foolish if you do.”

“Backing out of what?” Cynthia asked.

Clint smiled as sweetly as an angel. “Rachel asked me to marry her, and I’m saying yes. This is her engagement ring.”

Her mother started to giggle. “Did she really ask you to marry her?”

“Yes, ma’am, she sure did.” He gave Rachel’s shoulder a little pat. “I have some news for you too, Rachel.

“What’s that?” Reverend Amos asked when Rachel said nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment