My Books!

Friday, July 16, 2010

Beach Party Day 2



Welcome to Day 2 of my beach party. Please read yesterday's first post for information about the beach party. If you comment don't forget to leave your email address so I can contact you for your snail mail adress if you win one of the prizes.

If you are interested in Return Engagement it is available at http://www.whiskeycreekpress.com If you want to read the excerpts in order go back to yesterday's posts and start at the beginning. This excerpt begins where yesterday's last post left over.

The pictures? One is of the starfish shaped candles I'm giving away. The other is me at a real life beach party.



“Hurry up, Elizabeth. Jay’s almost finished talking, and he goes ballistic if anyone holds up the shoot.” Cathy Craig, Elizabeth Lane’s best friend and honorary sister, stood in the doorway of the trailer to wait for her.

“I’ll be right there, Cathy. Just let me adjust this belt.” She groaned as she tried to get the belt to rest in the right place. “I hate this costume. Oh, why do I have to be so curvy?”

“Who cares? It works for the public, right?”

Elizabeth giggled. “I guess so. Are there many people watching?”

“Yeah, a good many. Jay told them you were in the movie, so most of them are probably waiting to see you.”

“Oh, I don’t mind,” Elizabeth answered. “If they didn’t want to see me and get my autograph, I guess I’d have to find other work.”

The two friends laughed together and made their way to the set on the beach. “It’s Elizabeth!” a shrill female voice cried. The crowd buzzed with excited chatter as the spectators pressed forward to get a good luck at the big star.

Elizabeth smiled and cheerfully waved to her fans. She knew some of them followed her life religiously. She could guess why, too. She represented the glamour and excitement they craved but lacked in their daily lives. She knew a lot about dreams, so yes, she’d gladly smile and wave to them. Pausing for one moment, she signed a couple of autographs before moving on.

A tall, blond man standing near the back of the crowd caught her eye. She faltered and stumbled, catching hold of Cathy’s arm to stay upright in the sand. No, it couldn’t be! Richard! They hadn’t seen each other in ten years, but yes, it was Richard. She’d know him anywhere. His blue eyes still mesmerized her as he watched her progress across the beach. Irrelevantly, she remembered that when he was aroused his eyes always darkened.

Her heart took off in a wild gallop. He had matured since she last saw him. His shoulders had broadened, and the well defined muscles in his chest rippled under his tee shirt. His stomach appeared flat and hard, and his legs looked shapely and well formed. The expression on his face spoke of a fiery, passionate nature. Her face flushed as it occurred to her that if she faced him across a bed today as she had done ten years ago, the outcome might be very different. He didn’t look like a man she’d want to turn down.

Uh oh. She had started to shake. Would she be able to do her scene or not? She hoped so, but seeing Richard had brought the past vividly to life.

A dull ache, long familiar, reminded her how much it hurt to break up with him. He really was too young for me, but somehow it didn’t matter at all. We were compatible in every way. No wonder I fell head over heels in love with him.

Her lips tightened. She had never told him what hap-pened right before their final date, but she remembered it as well as if it had happened only yesterday.

10 comments:

  1. WOOHOO!! Let's get this party started!
    I loved this excerpt, she's not afraid to admit she wouldn't be able to walk away this time...I hope that means she will fight for him.

    ~Afshan
    Afshan522@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool party. So much to read so much fun. Great going Elaine - The book sounds like an absolute winner. Many sales to you!
    Billie
    billie @ billiewilliams.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elaine! I just saw your post on Coffee Time Romance boards and came over to your party and to read about RETURN ENGAGEMENT! I'm reading up and catching up so I'm posting together from all I'm reading :) That's so powerful in those 4 words. I remember those 4 words coming to me before, but its been a long time. I loved reading about Elizabeth's strength in giving that try again. And all she's going to endure through that choice. In that prologue, I loved Richard's heart in using that love, even at age 17, he was quite mature.

    I wondered why the ' - ' between some words? Was it part of accent? I'm deaf so I haven't heard them so I just never saw that in writing before. What accent is it? I loved what he named his horse! That was priceless!

    Is the beach a real one in CA or one you based it on? I got goose bumps on his reaction to even hearing Elizabeth's name. Gosh this book is going to be so an emotional read too.

    Love your beach hat Elaine! Thanks for the huge peeks into RETURN ENGAGEMENT. The title is already so fitting. I so have it on my wishlist. I must know how this all turns out! Especially leaving that huge tease at the end!!! Thanks again!

    cathiecaffey @ gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder what they'll say to each other after all this time has passed.

    janie1215 AT excite DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am envious of you sitting there all pretty and relaxed at the beach LOL. Great Party!
    tamben7996(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish that I really was at the beach right now! I love to sit at the beach with a good book.

    Thanks for the continuing "teases" of your new book. I forgot to leave my email address with my comments yesterday.

    castings at mindspring dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. The excerpts have all been great!

    yadkny@hotmai.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for coming everyone. I'm glad you're enjoying the excerpts. The dash between the words is not really supposed to be there. LOL. It must means that in the book the word was divided at the end of the line, and I missed taking it out.

    The beach where I took the pictures isn't in California. We took them in Myrtle Beach, SC. I love my hat too, but I still got a sunburn.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to see where this is going. Sorry I've been forgetting to leave my email.

    seriousreader at live dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. wonder what Richard is going to do besides throw a monky wrench into Elizabeth's life. Need to find out, lol.

    yourstrulee(at)sasktel(dot)net

    ReplyDelete