My Books!

Friday, April 29, 2011

The Perfect Life


Readers, please help me welcome Jane Toombs. Jane's doing a guest blog for me, Jane, take it away.

The Perfect Life
Is your life perfect? Was there ever a time in your life that you thought yours was perfect? Not just happy, but perfect?

Those are the questions I asked myself when I woke up this morning.
The answer to both questions is yes. Was I wrong? Again, yes.

The older I get, the more I realize that life is never perfect, though sometimes we have days when it may seem so. But then I’m an optimist. Also I was raised in a small town by parents who loved me and expected me to be a decent person and do well in life. Which didn’t mean get rich.

I often wonder if optimists and pessimists are born that way, or do their early years bend them one way or another? Whichever is true, I’m an optimist, so this may account for the many times in my life that I felt everything was perfect, only to find I was wrong. Took me many years to learn not to expect perfection, but just enjoy the happy times.

The strange thing is, I’ve been married twice and now live with the Viking from my past, and all three males have been or are pessimists Do these opposites seek each other out?

I once came to the conclusion that because life isn’t perfect may account for so many readers preferring happy endings. And perhaps those who read horror for pleasure do so because life can be miserable at times, so whatever theirs may be, it’s preferable to the horror they‘re reading about. But I quickly realized that’s far too simple an explanation, since I like happy endings, but I also read horror with enjoyment.

So I have to concede that I really don’t know why readers choose one genre or another as their preferences. Actually, maybe they don’t either. And, finally, does it even matter?

Probably not.

Do any of you have these odd thoughts sometimes when you wake up in the morning? I like to think I’m not really a strange person.

Two Hearts And A Crow, which will be released from Eternal Press May 1, deals with a man and woman with completely opposite expectations for the future. Yet the ending is happy.

Blurb: Ravens are common in Alaska--crows are not, especially a disabled, talking crow like Iago. Women who hold out for marriage are rare in Alaska--but the heroine persists. Men who want no part of marriage are common in Alaska and the hero is one of them, What happens when these three form a triangle?

What is Janet Lane Walters (Dame Amber)up to now? Find out at www.JewelsoftheQuill.com
Join us for monthly book giveaways !
Jane Toombs web site: www.JaneToombs.com

Jane, thank you for your article. My sister lives in Alaska, so I'll be sure to pick up a copy of your book.

No comments:

Post a Comment