My Books!

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Beyond the Book: Character Interview.

Welcome to Beyond the Book. My name is Jennifer Jones, and I'm the anchor on WPFA TV. I recently interviewed local resident Jake Douglas for our weekly Local Color segment. For those of you who don't know Jake, he and his brother Patrick operate a local inn called Rest Thy Head. Prior to settling down at Rest Thy Head, Jake was a Marine. He left the Marines after he was severely burned in Afghanistan. Let's see what he had to say.

Jennifer: Jake thanks so much for taking time to talk to me. I imagine you're pretty busy at Rest Thy Head.

Jake (laughs) Rest Thy Head is always busy, but that's a good thing. You won't hear me complaining.

Jennifer: No, I bet not. Both you and your brother recently got married, right?

Jake: We sure did. It was the best day of our lives.

Jennifer: People say that Rest Thy Head is haunted. Have you seen any ghosts?

Jake: You wouldn't believe me if I told you, but yeah, I've seen a ghost.

Jennifer: How exciting! Do you think the ghost would appear to me if I stayed at Rest Thy Head?

Jake: No ma'am. I think the ghost is busy with other things.

Jennifer: Well, that certainly sounds intriguing. What do you offer as entertainment for guests at the Inn?

Jake: We pride ourselves on our kitchen. Rest Thy Head has the best food in the area. We also offer horseback riding, swimming, and overnight campouts for starters.


Jennifer: Who's your chef at the Inn?

Jake: I am. Come out for dinner one evening, and you can see if I exaggerated my ability.

Jennifer: I will. I don't know if you'll like to talk about it, but I've heard that you got those scars on your face and hand in Afghanistan.

Jake: Yes, I did. Insurgents threw gas on me and set me on fire. If it wasn't for my buddy, I'd probably have burned to death, and if it wasn't for my wife Peyton, I'd still be a recluse at Rest Thy Head. She taught me that a man's character means a whole lot more than the scars on his face.

Jennifer: What a dreadful experience. Your wife sounds like someone special.

Jake: (smiles) Oh, she is.

Jennifer: On behalf of everyone at WPFA, I'd like to thank you for your service to our country.

Jake: You're welcome, Jennifer.

Jennifer: What's for dinner on Friday night, Jake?

Jake: Fried chicken, and it'll be good.

Jennifer: Jake is offering $10 off ever guest ticket on Friday evening so if you like fried chicken, this is a good time to try the food at Rest Thy Head. Is there anything else you'd like to add, jake?

Jake: Yes, I thought I'd offer a tip. Everyone always wants the recipe for our hot dog chili so here it is. We use a combination of sweet barbecue sauce and ketchup to flavor the chili. Just tinker with it until it tastes right.

Jennifer: Thanks so much for talking to us Jake. I'll see you on Friday for some of that chicken.


No comments:

Post a Comment