My Books!

Thursday, July 2, 2015

I Want To Be Like Beverly Cleary

Beverly Cleary doesn't write romance. She's a children's author so why would a romance writer want to be like her? Simple. This lady can flat out write. When she does a story, her characters are so true to life that you'll think you're old friends with them.

The first Cleary book I ever read as a child was Ellen Tebbits. As a fourth or fifth grader, I totally identified with Ellen. Years later when I re-read the book as an adult, I was awed by her skill and ability to get into the mind and emotions of children. In my opinion, few authors have surpassed her.

Creating memorable characters is my goal as well. I don't want stereotypical, flat characters whether they're villains or heroes. I want to be like Cleary and people my novels with characters people will remember their whole lives.

My latest hero is a WWE style wrestler who bought an old, falling down house that people say is haunted. There's no windows in the house, and it's early spring so he wears a red sweat suit with a dalmatian head on the shirt. He also wears slipper socks and is in the witness protection program.

Will this guy be as memorable as Ellen Tebbits? I don't know yet, but I have a super example to follow as I perfect my craft.

The cover is the first edition cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment