My Books!

Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Beyond the Book: Holidays

This week I'm talking about how we celebrated Christmas this year. Like everyone else my plans were different this year.

We usually have a huge family breakfast on Christmas Eve with my husband’s family. We’ve been doing this so long I can’t remember when it began. Everybody brings some food, and we spend the morning laughing, talking, and eating. My sister in law makes a delicious punch that we demand every year. It wouldn’t be Christmas without it. 

We didn’t get to have that dinner this year. The breakfast is held at my niece’s house, but she and her family have covid. Plus, four other family members have it. So we’ve rescheduled for January. 

On Christmas Eve night my granddaughter invites both sides of her family to a big dinner at her house. I enjoy seeing everyone, and there are enough children to make the event feel special. We always buy a gift for all the children. It’s fun to watch them get their presents. We didn't that this year either. Our county has the highest Covid infection rate in the state, and she didn’t feel comfortable getting such a big group together. 

Christmas Day was pretty much like it always is. My sons came over with their families, but my granddaughter didn't come. She's a nurse for Covid patients so she didn't want to take any chances. We all took precautions during this time so we feel our gathering was safe. We had a big lunch around one thirty, and then we opened our Christmas presents. After all the excitement is over we watched A Christmas Carol on TV. It was the George C. Scott version. It’s the best one. 

No matter how you spent your Christmas I hope it was deeply satisfying and joyful for you. And next year maybe we can return to our well loved traditions. Happy New Year to you and yours!


No comments:

Post a Comment