My Books!

Saturday, April 3, 2021

Saturday Sample and Weekend Writing Warriors

Welcome to Saturday Sample and Weekend Writing Warriors. Today I'm sharing an excerpt from my current work in progress. The book is titled Tarnished Silver, and I have no official blurb to share. The set up is like this. 

My heroine Brittany Granger is a private investigator who has been summoned to the home of the Silver family. The Silvers operate The Silver Firm, a prestigious law practice. They are famous, rich, and some say unscrupulous. She has no idea why they want to see her.


Last Week: This is a WIP so if something grabs you that I need to change please say so. 


He certainly could.  One of the richest, most powerful men in the state, Bradley Jonathan Silver also had numerous contacts in Washington.  Some people said he could pick up the phone and speak to the President.

“Your agency is young, Miss Granger,” he said, “but you have an excellent reputation.  Everyone says you get results which is what I’m interested in.”  Silver passed a photograph in an ornate frame to Brittany.  “This is my grandson, Bradley Jonathan Silver III.”

Brittany studied the photo, which had been taken on a beach.  Shadows from an umbrella partially obscured the man’s face.  Even so she could see his resemblance to Mr. Silver.  “He looks like you.” 


Excerpt:

Silver briefly smiled, but it didn’t reach his eyes.  “Yes, he does, but he isn’t quite as tall.  He isn’t a lawyer either.  He’s a minister.”

Had she heard a note of condemnation in Silver’s voice?  “That’s certainly nothing to be ashamed of.”

He nodded.  “That’s right.  My grandson ministers to a small, Japanese congregation located in Fairfield. Unfortunately, one of the members recently contacted me with a concern.”

“And that concern is?”

“Money, Miss Granger.  Several members of his church are concerned that some of the weekly offering is going into Bradley’s pocket.”

7 comments:

  1. Well, that's definitely a concern. Intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, all kinds of issues here for sure. Tricky to investigate as well...intriguing snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, boy. That doesn't sound good. Now she knows why he called her.
    I forgot to sign up and my post is up. https://dianeburton.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. So he wants her to investigate his own son? I didn't see that coming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And now we get to the meat of the conflict. And it's a good one. Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm intrigued as to how she's going to investigate this. And I can understand why he picked a lesser-known person.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Investigate his son. That's curious. Can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete