My Books!

Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Beyond the book: How Sweet to Receive

 “Have you ever received a personal compliment (not on your looks or writing), that was unexpected or unusual?  Would you compare those to odd, half-baked or “left-handed” compliments?”

This is an interesting topic. I’ve received more than one such comment, and I’ve laughed about it because usually the person who gave it was a student who had no idea that she had complimented me in a round about way. 

 My husband gave me a “compliment” today even though he had no idea of what I’d said to him. He was watching the news this morning when I went into the family room. It was sprinkling a little outside, and I said, “I better not go out. I’m so sweet I might melt.” He reached for my hand and said, ” I don’t think you have anything to worry about.” That cracked me up. “What did I say?” he asked. I told him and we both had a good laugh about it.

Of course real compliments aren’t always given in words. Once back before I retired the faculty broke into groups to do some task. Several groups wanted me which I still feel like is a nice compliment. 

I think most people feel good to be complimented so I’m not stingy with mine. When someone does something I think is good I tell them about it. You’d be surprised how their face lights up when they realize they’re appreciated. 

Do you give compliments to people who you think have done something well?


No comments:

Post a Comment