My Books!

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Why I Love My Nook

I'm now participating in Why I Love Wednesdays. Today's topic is my favorite book format. For more authors go to http://www.reflectionsofabookaholic.com/2011/06/why-i-love-wednesdaysfavorite-book.html

Things sure do change over time, don’t they? Ten years ago I don’t think anyone could have predicted how ebooks would change the publishing world. I’m assuming that anyone reading this post would know what an ebook is, but just in case let’s define it. An ebook is a book read on a hand held device like a Barnes and Noble Nook. They can be read on a computer, but it’s easier on the eyes to read them on the ebook reader.

Prior to the Christmas season an estimated four million homes had ebook readers in them, but I’m sure the number is higher now that Christmas is over. I got a Nook myself. It has a case that opens like a book, and there’s a book light attached so I can read it in the dark if I wanted to. You can also change the font size to suit yourself.

Do I like My Nook? I sure do. For one thing, the books I’ve downloaded so far are cheaper than print books. Same text, just cheaper. And since they are cheaper, I’ve found that I’m far more willing to try new authors. For another thing, I can download an ebook and have it ready to read instantly-no driving to the bookstore or waiting for a book order to come in the mail.

Besides those things, storage in my house is maxed out, and that includes book storage. Both my son and I are avid readers, and even though we have bookcases stuck in every conceivable corner, there just isn’t any more room. But with an ebook reader about the size of a paperback, I can store hundreds of books. If I go on vacation, I can take my library with me.
With the Nook I can even borrow books from other Nook owners which is a plus for me. Honestly, I never liked lending my print books to anyone. All too often they came back with smudged pages or torn covers, and I don’t like that kind of thing. It was always risky to borrow a book for myself too. I borrowed one book from a friend of mine, and the cat peed on it. I had to buy a new copy for her. (I don’t know why the cat did that. I thought it was a good book, but maybe she didn’t like it. LOL.)

The books I wrote are all available in either print or ebook version. (Let me pause to put in a bit of shameless self-promotion; ebooks are inexpensive so try one of mine.) If you haven’t given any thought to reading ebooks, take a field trip to Barnes and Noble where they have Nooks set up for customers to look at and try out. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Oh, and before I forget, over Christmas Barnes and Noble sold more ebooks than print books. And one more thing, a few months ago I read an article in the paper about a school in the Northeast that did away with print textbooks. Every student’s textbooks are electronic.

4 comments:

  1. Elaine,
    Hi. Liked your blog post. I just recently got a Kindle for my birthday. I did not think I was going to like reading eBooks and I didn't want an ereader, but I love my ereader for all the reasons you mentioned. I also especially like being able to read PDF review copies for authors on my Kindle instead of on my laptop. So much more convenient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same way at first, Joanne, but I'm now a believer in the readers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm more likely to try out new authors as well. I've become impossible because when I want a book, I expect to buy it 30 seconds later. Oh the perks of 24 hour service.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alexis, I laughed when I read your comment because I am the very same way.

    ReplyDelete