My Books!

Monday, July 29, 2013

YA At Its Finest: Spell Struck


Let me begin with a big thanks to Elaine for allowing me to guest host today. I am honored to be here! My second YA novel, Spell Struck, Book 2: The Teen Wytche Saga, released July 18th. The first book in the series, Spell Check, debuted in 2012.

 

Every writer needs a muse. I had a muse — an excellent muse. She resembled my daughter. Okay, she was my daughter, which proved quite useful since I write Young Adult fiction.

 

We entered an unspoken deal. My daughter would pretend to listen while I worked out plot details on street corners — as long as the corner was within a block of the mall and the outing involved shopping. She would pretend I wasn’t eavesdropping during the daily school carpool drives as long as I disguised my characters enough that her friends and nemeses wouldn’t recognize themselves.

 

I used a map of her middle school to create Jefferson High, the high school setting for the first two books of my Teen Wytche Saga. Book three, which I’m currently writing, switches to a fictional setting inspired by her high school. The whole muse deal seemed to be working out splendidly.

 

One slight blip: my daughter grew up and went off to college. Muses aren’t supposed to age out! Isn’t Muse a life-long position?

 

Luckily, I get to do author school events. While I tell the students about my journey as a writer and give them writing tips, one part of my brain memorizes what the kids are wearing and how they interact with each other. Maybe I should prop up a sign next to my cover art poster. Wanted: A teen muse. No experience needed. Must be at least two years from high school graduation.

 

Meanwhile, I think I’ll volunteer at the Boys and Girls Club of America.

 

Spell Struck, Book 2: The Teen Wytche Saga

What if the one person who saw through your lies and loved you, harbored a secret that could cost you everything?

 

Back Cover Blurb

Goth outcast, Salem Miller, believes her love spell failed until Aidan Cooper arrives at Jefferson High. When he chooses her over the popular girls, Salem knows magic brought him. But can she summon enough wizardry to save her sister? Salem fears Amy’s next suicide attempt will succeed. Magic brought Aidan. Maybe it can cure Amy. Salem’s last hope lies hidden within a damaged grimoire, nearly destroyed by a wrongful love spell. Was her rightful love spell enough to restore it?

 

Newest Jefferson High transplant, Aidan Cooper, doesn't expect to be attracted to a goth. Then he realizes Salem is throwing a glamour—pretending to be something she’s not. Guess it takes one to know one, since his whole life has been a lie. But if his kidnappers discover he's broken their No Attachments rule, he'll never see Salem again. Worse, he’s terrified they’ll harm her when they discover she possesses the ancient grimoire. To protect Salem, Aidan must destroy the grimoire, and escape his captors.

 

While Salem races to unlock the Get Well Spell, Aidan scrambles to overcome his past. With their star-crossed paths at odds, will time run out for both of them?

 

Excerpt

Aidan lowered his hand. His finger pressed against my skin, shooting a delicious tingle up my arm. When I didn’t move away, he hooked his finger over mine. My breath caught. We stayed, frozen, hyper-focused, for what seemed like three lifetimes. Then Aidan trailed his fingertips across the back of my hand. The soundtrack, popcorn smells, and theater audience melted into the background. The world narrowed down to the unspoken grief and need entangled in Aidan’s touch.

I rotated my hand so my palm faced upward. Aidan hesitated. Our gazes locked in the flickering light. The spell link humming between us lit up like blue lightning. At least I think it was the spell link. Aidan plunged his fingers between mine. Our palms pressed together, igniting a current. Air shuddered from my lungs. Magic rippled from us in successive waves.

My heart stuttered. My breath ceased. Every cell within me vibrated. Troops of fairies or dragonflies took flight in my lower abdomen. It’s possible blue lightning shot from my boots.

Good thing I wasn’t holding the popcorn.

 


About Ariella

Ariella Moon writes about magic, friendship, and love in Spell Check and Spell Struck, Books One & Two in The Teen Wytche Saga from Astraea Press. After a childhood spent searching for a magical wardrobe that would transport her to Narnia, Ariella grew up to become an author and shaman. Extreme math anxiety, and taller students who mistook her for a leaning post, marred Ariella’s teen years. Despite these horrors, she graduated summa cum laude from the University of California at Davis. She now lives a nearly normal life with her extraordinary daughter, shamelessly spoiled dog, and an enormous dragon.

 

Buy Links

Astraea Press


Amazon


 

Barnes and Noble


Where to Find Ariella Moon



 


 

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, Elaine, for allowing me to guest host today. And thanks for describing Spell Struck as "YA At Its Finest." You made my day!
    ~Ariella

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughters, aged 25 and 29, provide me with ideas for my younger heroines. They also read my stories and help me see things from their points of view. And now I've got step-grandchildren in their twenties, so I'll be picking their brains, too! Do you have any nieces you could enlist?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for coming!

    ReplyDelete