My Books!

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Sweet Saturday Sample: Total Desperation

Welcome to Sweet Saturday Sample.  My excerpt today comes from The Enchanted, my latest release.  In this excerpt Morgane is overcome with desperation and comes up with a radical solution to her problem.  Find more excerpts at http://www.sweetsatsample.wordpress.com

Blurb:


Forced by his father into a marriage he didn’t want, Prince Alan soon finds that his bride isn’t the sweet, submissive creature he expected.  Morgane has the heart of a dragon and beauty beyond compare, but she isn’t thrilled about the marriage either.  When black treachery threatens the kingdom, Morgane and Alan embark on a perilous journey that has an excellent chance of ending in failure and death for them and all of their people.  

Excerpt:

The minute Alan left her alone, Morgane hobbled across the

room. The sword that stood in the corner was heavy, but

desperation lent strength and she hefted it. No longer would she be

at the mercy of others. She had tried to run away, but in that she

failed. This time she would not fail. Placing the sword against her

heart, she saw that her arms were not long enough to grasp the hilt.

Blood gushed as her hands slipped along the blade.
 
 

"My lady! What are you doing?" Edana ran across the room

and snatched the sword from Morgane. "What are you thinking?

The prince has treated you kindly thus far. Your life may be

changing for the better. How could you do this thing?"
 
 

Morgane lunged for the sword, but Edana deftly evaded her.

"Evidently, I cannot do it. Help me, Edana! My arms are too short

to do the job. If you love me, send me on my way to the next

world."
 
 

"No!" Edana cried. "I will tell Prince Alan if you ever try such

a thing again."
 
 

Tears welled up in Morgane's eyes, but as usual she bit her

lip to quell them. Crying did no good. She knew. Her head

dropped. "Do not tell him."
 
 

"You are tired," Edana comforted. "Let me clean your hands

and help you to bed. The prince will not stay away for long."
 
 

Shoulders drooping, Morgane allowed Edana to help her

into her gown. "This fabric is lovely, my lady. It is very soft and

finely spun. You always look well in white." She gently fingered the

lace on the sleeve. "It took many hours to make this fine lace."
 
 

Morgane shrugged and stared dispassionately at the lace.

"Perhaps I once looked well in white, but since my father chose to

mutilate me I have looked repulsive in everything."
 
 

"That is not true, and you know it. You are still beautiful.

You are lucky, too. Have you not rid yourself of your father? Is

Prince Alan not handsome and kind?"
 
 

"Yes, of course."
 

Edana hung her dress in the wardrobe and put her shoes

under the bed. "Try to please him, my lady. Your mother is not

here, and in her absence I feel it is my duty to advise you.สบ
 
 

"Thank you, Edana. I appreciate all that you do for me."

6 comments:

  1. not a happy lady is she? Wonder what Alan will do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I've got to find out why she's so desperate to get away. What is it she's afraid of? Hope Alan can convince her to stay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a good thing she has a loyal friend like Edana. I hope she's prevailed upon to stay and let herself grow to love Prince Alan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I hope she finds happiness some day. I wonder what the future holds for her. Thanks for sharing.

    Here's MY SWEET SATURDAY SAMPLE


    ReplyDelete