My Books!

Saturday, May 29, 2021

Saturday Sample and Weekend Writing Warriors


For a couple of weeks I'll be sharing excerpts from Rest Thy Head. First a blurb, and then an excerpt.

Blurb:

Running away from a fiancĂ© who betrayed her, Peyton O’Malley finds employment at a beautiful mountain inn called Rest Thy Head. She didn’t expect to live in the haunted room or to fall for the inn’s owner, a fire-scarred, war veteran who uses the inn to hide away from the world. She didn’t expect her sister to show up at Rest Thy Head either, much less her formidable mother.


Now, thanks to the aid of a friendly ghost, Peyton has a shot at true love, and so does her sister Ashley, provided the guys cooperate of course! 


Excerpt: How Peyton came to live in the haunted room at Rest Thy Head

Peyton sat down and tucked her hair behind her ear. “I talked to my mother after our ride this morning. She isn’t...happy with me. In fact, she told me not to come home at all.”

“I’m so sorry.” He gave her shoulder a quick pat.

Peyton pursed her lips. “Well, that’s just Mother. I’m hoping she’ll get over it eventually. I planned to go back to Milford and get a job, but, I don’t want to go home just yet. I know you had a girl to quit this morning, and I wondered if I could interview for her job.”

Patrick thought for a moment. “You’d be working for my brother. Would his face bother you?”

“No, it wouldn’t. It surprised me this morning, but I don’t mind.”

Patrick pursed his lips. “We don’t have a room for you. You’d have to find somewhere to live.”

“How about the maid’s room on the third floor?”

Patrick’s eyebrows shot straight up. “Who told you about that room?”

“One of the maids.”

“I don’t know what to tell you about that.” He ran his hand through his red hair and made it stand straight up. “We’ve had guests stay in the room before, but not for long. People say it’s haunted.”

Peyton burst into laughter.

7 comments:

  1. It sounds like Peyton will either dispel the rumors or meet the ghosts herself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the ghost going to be the love interest? I'm picturing the Ghost and Mrs. Muir.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh oh, never good to laugh at a ghost, I have a feeling! Enjoyed the snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teehee... She might be laughing now. Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for her - push for a room along with the jib.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Somehow I don't think she'll be laughing for long. Great snippet! And I love the premise!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a soft spot for "boot strap" sort of women. The kind who are independent enough to take any job, even if it means living with a ghost...

    ReplyDelete