My Books!

Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Beyond the Book: Presenting Linda O'Connor



Welcome, Linda. We’re so glad to have you, and we can’t wait to get to know you. 

Hey Everyone! I’m Linda O’Connor, and I’m super excited to be stopping by. I’m the author of medical romantic comedies: The Perfectly series, In the Game Hockey Romance series, and my latest release, Dr. Brogan Corkie Matchmaking Doctor series. I balance writing with my work as a physician in an Urgent Care Clinic and weave the best parts of medicine into romance. All of my books are stand-alone stories filled with love and laughter – so indulge yourself, relax, and escape into fun. It’s what the doctor ordered. 😀

I originally had the idea for the Dr. Brogan Corkie Matchmaking Doctor series a few years ago. I frequently saw patients with infectious illnesses and had to advise them to stay home from school or work until they were no longer contagious – even before COVID! It’s difficult for working parents to find care for their sick children – often they just can’t take a day off, and it’s nearly impossible to find a caregiver willing to look after a child who is ill. It also isn’t easy for someone living on their own to cope when they don’t feel well.

I thought caring for the sick when they are temporarily ill would make a great job for a retired doctor, since a doctor wouldn’t be daunted by the illness. That’s how Dr. Brogan Corkie’s character was born. Initially, I was going to have her look after the sick in their homes and then bring two people together in that context. But when I started writing, I ended up giving Brogan a hobby – she enjoys cooking and catering for people – and that became her second career. She’s a chef, but I also “upgraded” her M.D. from medical doctor to matchmaking doctor. Brogan became the romantic catalyst – she brings couples together and then through good advice and a warm heart, she uses her cooking, medical – and matchmaking – skills to weave love and romance into their lives. And throughout the series, Brogan’s own heart gets tangled up in romance, too! Medicine – it truly is a work of heart.

Don’t Drop the Baby (Dr. Brogan Corkie Matchmaking Doctor Book 1)

Genre: Medical Romantic Comedy

PG

Blurb

Dr. Brogan Corkie is happily semi-retired from medicine and now has time for other hobbies. Her passion for food is only second to her skill at matchmaking! 

Ross Skye, owner of BabyCare, a high-end line of baby merchandise, is injured in an accident, and Brogan uses her cooking, medical – and matchmaking – skills to help him out. Dr. Lauren Kane is taking care of her nephew for two weeks, and Brogan agrees to babysit while Lauren is at work. 

Two years ago, Ross and Lauren dated. At that time, Lauren wanted kids, but Ross wasn’t keen. Now the tables have turned, and Ross is trying to convince Lauren that they’d make an awesome parenting team. Brogan suggests they test drive parenthood by looking after a simulated baby for a week – a computerized version that eats, sleeps, wets, and cries. Ross and Lauren experience the “joy” of having a newborn firsthand, and the bar is set pretty low. Their first goal is: don’t drop the baby. The second goal is to find out if their love for each other will survive the test of…parenting.

Excerpt from Don’t Drop the Baby

Brogan’s phone rang and she picked it up eagerly when she saw her daughter’s name on the call display. “Hi love, how are you?”

“On a scale of one to ten, I’d have to say ten.”

Brogan smiled. When the kids were teenagers, they’d roll their eyes when Brogan switched hats from mom to doctor and asked them to rate their pain or mood on a scale of one to ten. Later on it became a running family joke and everything from the weather to vegetables to their opinion of their sibling’s date was fair game.

“How are things with you, Mom? How’s the retirement test going?”

“Also a ten out of ten. I’ve slipped into my new career like a fish to water. I couldn’t be happier.”

“Nice. I’m sure a lot of patients are missing you, but you’ve earned the break. Are you managing to keep busy?”

“Yes. My freezer was overflowing, but I’ve got my very first customer.”

“Good gracious. Someone’s paying you to cook?” 

“Mae honey, have a little faith. Some people enjoy my cooking.”

Mae laughed. “I guess the bright side is you can treat them if something goes wrong. Not many chefs can boast that.”

Brogan chuckled reluctantly. “The advantage of keeping my license up.”

“What are you catering?”

“I’m the in-house chef for a young man.”

Silence. “Excuse me?”

“Jess’s nephew was in an accident and fractured his arm and leg. I’m getting his meals and keeping an eye on him.”

“Jess’s nephew? You’re telling me that you’re living with multi-millionaire Ross Skye, CEO of BabyCare, who recently walked away from the crash of his private helicopter with a broken arm and leg?”

Brogan frowned. “Helicopter? I didn’t realize. I’d assumed it was his car. But either way, yes.” She paused. “Although I highly doubt he walked away from it.”

“He’s an experienced pilot. Apparently there was some mechanical problem, and his skill saved him. The crash was pretty spectacular. It was caught on video and plastered all over social media. He’s lucky to be alive.”

That might explain the trouble sleeping.

“He could afford the best of the best,” Mae continued. “How did you get involved?”

Brogan pursed her lips and tried to overlook the insult. “Jess asked me to drop off a few meals for his freezer, and I offered to help.”

“Just like that?”

“Just like that.”

“Does he know you’re a doctor? Has he asked you to prescribe something illegal for him? Narcotics? Benzos?”

Brogan sighed audibly. “Relax, Mae. I do know what I’m doing.”

“The fact that you’re staying at his house seems a little sketchy. A one out of ten, Mom,” Mae said with a grunt. “Does Finn know about this?”

“Something tells me he will shortly,” Brogan said wryly. “I appreciate your concern, but there’s no need for it. I’m having fun.”

“That’s what concerns me!” 

Brogan laughed. “I love you, dear. Say hello to Lori for me and don’t worry.”

Mae sighed. “Love you, Mom. Be careful.”

Brogan smiled and hung up the phone. Kids – can’t live with ’em, can’t live without ’em. 

Buy link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0847SFBFV

Bio

Award-winning author Linda O’Connor started writing romantic comedies when she needed a creative outlet other than subtly rearranging the displays at a local home décor store. Her books have enjoyed bestseller status. When not writing, she’s a physician at an Urgent Care Clinic. She shares her medical knowledge in fast-paced, well-written, sexy romances – with an unexpected twist. Her favourite prescription to write? Laugh every day. Love every minute.

Social Media

Website https://www.lindaoconnor.net

Twitter https://twitter.com/LindaOConnor98

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/LindaOConnorAuthor

Goodreads https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/795688.Linda_O_Connor

Amazon Author Page https://www.amazon.com/Linda-OConnor/e/B00S7CNLEA

Linda, thanks so much for stopping by. I’m thinking that I have to read Don’t Drop the Baby. It sounds like a super good read. 



2 comments:

  1. Before my health went to crap, I was a home health nurse. Never took care of any billionaires, though. My patients were mostly special-needs children.
    I find that having kids tends to expose the cracks in a relationship. My shaky marriage did not survive after our son came along, but my ex-husband and I ended up becoming like family. So much so that I'd rather not think about how we ended up having a child together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you're right, especially if the people involved have vastly different ideas on how children should be reared.

    ReplyDelete