My Books!

Monday, February 17, 2014

Beyond the Book




Hello, my name is Liesel Wolf, and I was Elaine's heroine in Never Trust a Pretty Wolf.  Read the excerpt from the book, and then I'll tell you how to make those biscuits.



If only he didn’t look like a rugged cowboy come to life.

She’d always had a weakness for those rugged, outdoor-looking

types, not that you’d realize it if you knew William. William looked

sophisticated and city-born from the top of his stylishly cut hair to

the sole of his elegant Italian shoes.
 

She did not want to go there. William was her past. Daily

she prayed that it would stay that way.
 

She slipped into her jeans and twisted her damp hair into a

knot on top of her head. No use bothering with makeup because

impressing Andy Bryce wasn’t on her ‘to do’ list. Haphazardly, she

tossed her things into her bag and ran to her car. To her surprise

Andy was waiting for her with a big cup of coffee and a white

paper bag.
 

“Coffee and a ham biscuit?”he asked.
 

“I guess. Thank you.”Liesel hated to take anything from

him, even a cheap breakfast, but hunger compelled her to eat it.

Even though she hadn’ expected to like heavy food in this hot

weather, the biscuit tasted great. One thing about Southern

cooking; everything she’d eaten had been good.


Most people buy there biscuits frozen today, but even though they're good, they can't beat the fresh, homemade variety. It's easy to make them too. Biscuit making isn't hard at all, not when you have the proper porportion of ingredients. Here's my recipe for biscuits. It was passed down to me by my mother who got it from her mother before her. If you try it, let me know if you like it.

Biscuits:

2 cups self-rising flour
1 cup Crisco
1 cup buttermilk.

Mix the Crisco and flour until well blended. Add buttermilk and stir. Turn the dough out onto a well-floured surface. For pretty biscuits, use a rolling pin to get a uniform height. Cut the biscuits with a cutter and bake at 350-425 until nice and brown. (I've given a range for the temperature because I've seen ovens vary so much.)



No comments:

Post a Comment