My Books!

Friday, February 7, 2014

Saturday Sample: Blue 52

Today's excerpt comes from Blue 52. In this excerpt, my hero recruits a retired Secret Service agent to help him prove that his mother didn't kill his father. First a blurb, then an excerpt. Sorry, no picture. Blogger wouldn't cooperate with me.




Blurb:


"First Lady Kills President Lovinggood"


December 29, 2018


 
Thirty years later Hank Lovinggood embarks on a quest to prove his mother's innocence and punish the killers who took his family from him.  Together Hank and lovely physicist Kathryn Sinclair confront an implacable, twisted, merciless enemy who'll do whatever it takes to hide the truth forever. 



Excerpt:


"Damn, Hank," Rudy exclaimed as he paced around the room. "Do you know what you’re saying?"


"I do."


"Do you have any evidence?"


"Sort of." Hank told Rudy about Scott’s files, his conversation with Shirley Grissom, and his meeting with the Stantons at the cemetery.


"Damn, Hank," Rudy said again. He finally sat back down. "You can’t just go around saying things like that. You have to be able to prove it, and what you have isn’t enough."


"I know. I was hoping you could tell me something that would help the investigation."


Rudy strode toward the kitchen. "I need another beer. Want one?"


"No, I’m fine."


Rudy returned from the kitchen with another beer and a thoughtful expression on his face. "Glass and Tate weren’t usually assigned to your dad. A day before your mother and dad were supposed to leave for the Colorado mountains to go skiing with Stanton, five or six of your father’s agents got food poisoning. Glass and Tate were replacements for two of the sick agents.


"As far as I know, they were good men. I’ve also heard they worked like the devil himself to save your parents."


"Where are they now? I guess they’re retired, right?"


Rudy leaned back in his chair. "Well, now, that’s a funny thing. Tate committed suicide about a year after your father was murdered, and Glass died in a house fire."


Hank’s mouth went dry. "When?"


"Five or six months after your father died."


Hank’s eyes flashed, communicating his excitement to Rudy. "It all makes perfect sense to me. Stanton used Glass and Tate to kill my parents, but he didn’t trust them to keep his dirty secret. He killed them as soon as he thought he could get away with it. I think I need to see some financial records. I’d like to see if their lifestyle changed after Dad was murdered."


"That would be helpful. Men have done murder for money almost as long as the human race has existed." Rudy thought for a moment. "What about Baker and Watson? They were the ones who came to relieve Glass and Tate. They were present when the shots were fired."


"I think I need to investigate them too. My uncle’s files didn’t mention them by name, but their presence makes them suspect as far as I’m concerned."


"Let me help you." Rudy’s eyes shone with excitement. "I’m not sure I buy your theory, but I’ll find out everything I can about Glass and Tate. If you’re right, I’d love to be in the history books as one of the men who uncovered the best kept conspiracy in history."


Hank held out his hand. "Welcome aboard."
Buy link:


http://www.amazon.com/Blue-52-Elaine-Cantrell-ebook/dp/B00H1MHC24/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1391831905&sr=1-1&keywords=blue+52+by+elaine+cantrell

No comments:

Post a Comment