My Books!

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Beyond The Book: Cowgirl Food

Any cowgirl worthy of the title probably knew how to make Vinegar Pie. Wikimedia says it's a North American variation of Chess Pie. Some of you may recall that Laura Ingalls Wilder ate Vinegar Pie at Christmas in Little House in the Big Woods. I've eaten Chess Pie, but personally, I've never tried Vinegar Pie. I believe that this recipe was supposed to be made when you were out on the trail somewhere. Let me know how it tastes if you decide to indulge your cowgirl taste buds.

1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup cold water
4 eggs, beaten
5 tablespoons vinegar
2 1/2 tablespoons butter 
Combine sugar and flour. Add the rest of the ingredients and place in a saucepan. Cook until thick and pour into a prepared pie crust. Bake in a 375-degree oven until the crust is brown.

Rest Thy Head is now on sale for .99 at Amazon and B&N.

No comments:

Post a Comment