My Books!

Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Beyond the Book: A New Dream


One of the first books I wrote was called A New Dream. It remains one of my favorites even today. Since I don’t have a specific topic this week I thought I’d share the prologue from the book with you. The prologue describes an accident that Matt has that totally changes the course of his life. Hope you enjoy it, and I also wish you a very Happy New Year. 

Blurb:

After an accident destroys his NFL career, Matt McCallum struggles to find a new dream for his life.  Then he meets Violet Emerson.  They find a common dream, but a loose end from Matt’s past returns to jeopardize their future.  Will love be enough to save their new dream before it turns into a nightmare?

Excerpt:

The red convertible cut a path through the moonlight, its headlights dancing along the arched limbs of the trees above the road.

“Oh, Matt, it’s such a beautiful night,” Stacey declared with a sigh. “I’m going to miss you when you leave tomorrow.”

Matt reached for her hand and brought it to his lips. “I’ll miss you too, but if I don’t report on time, I’m in trouble with the coach.”

“That’s what I get for falling in love with a pro football player,” Stacey teased, her blonde hair turned to frosted silver by the light of the full moon above them.

Matt squeezed her hand that wore his engagement ring. “It’s too late to back out now. You’re mine.”

“Mmm, do I like the sound of that!”

The car rounded a curve, and without warning a deer bounded across the road.

“Look out!” Stacey screamed.

Matt braked sharply to avoid the animal. The tires slid on a patch of loose gravel in the road, and he lost control of the convertible. It fishtailed and started to spin in the road.

Matt hauled the steering wheel to correct the slide, but it was useless. The car turned around once more and skidded backwards for a short distance before it charged off the road. It jumped a steep ditch and went airborne. All Matt could see was a blur of trees and darkness as the car careened into the woods. It made a lazy turn in the air and came to rest bottom side up.

The last thing he remembered was the sound of Stacey’s screams.


No comments:

Post a Comment