My Books!

Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Beyond the Book: Treasures

If you had to get rid of most of your belongings in order to move into a smaller place, what are the things you would not be able to part with? 

I don’t know about anyone else, but for me this topic is hard. We have a lot of stuff that we’d have to deal with if we left our home. Naturally I have some things I wouldn’t miss at all. Like the new lampshade that the store just gave me when the one I wanted didn’t come in. I tried to return it, but they weren’t interested at all even though the shade I did want came in a few weeks later. I also have far too many clothes that don’t fit and shoes I don’t wear. I wouldn’t miss them at all. Nor would I miss my air fryer. The whole world likes air fryers, but I don’t like mine. 

But on the other hand I have some items that, if pressed, I could get rid of even though I don’t really want to. The things are nothing special, and I know you can’t take it with you, but I like these items because when I look at them they bring back precious memories of other times, people, and places that I loved.

However, here’s a list of things I won’t get rid of. If we downsize they go with us.

1.My books. That’s not as hard as it sounds because most of my books are now digital. The print books I still have are favorites that I don’t even loan to other people for fear I might not get them back. Some books go back to childhood. I have one book called Horses Across America that my mother gave me for Christmas. I totally loved it. The Christmas after I got the book I got a real horse, but I still loved the book. Other books are more recent, but if it’s now on my bookshelf it goes where I go.

2.Family antiques passed down to me. I have some really good pieces that belonged to my grandparents, my mother and father, and my mother-in-law. They go where I go too. One of my favorite pieces is a pastel yellow chair that now sits in my bedroom. I had it in the living room, but it’s really too fragile for much use so I moved it. 

3.My electronics. This includes my laptop, phone, and iPad. Modern technology can be isolating and annoying, but it makes life considerably easier in some cases. I can’t imagine how my manuscripts would look if I had to type them on an old fashioned typewriter. I just love my delete key on my laptop.

4.My pets and all of their beds and things. Unless I get sick and have to be put in a home my animals stay with me no matter where I go. And if we ever do move the new place has to have a fenced yard for them to play in.

5. Family pictures. I don’t see how anyone could throw out their pictures. We had a family portrait made some years ago. It hung in my dad’s house until he got remarried and gave it to me. I like to look at it and remember the day we had it made. 

Other than those things i could walk out the door and not look back. I asked my husband what he’d have to keep, and the only thing he said was his computer and his dogs. I bet he wouldn’t leave his mother’s china cabinet, though. 

Frankly, I think we do have a move in our future. My husband is getting bad arthritis, and we have three levels in our house, which means lots of stairs. I do dread it, but if we have to downsize we’ll make it work. 

What treasures would you keep?


1 comment:

  1. Your list of things that couldn't be parted with would match mine. I always wondered how people redecorate...most everything I own has a memory or story behind it.

    ReplyDelete