My Books!

Tuesday, September 6, 2022

Beyond the Book: Tough Call

“What book changed how you see the world and why?” 

I’ve been a reader since I was a very small child so I’ve read a lot of books. I’m still a reader. I went through the last two books I read in about three days. I loved them both, but I don’t think they changed the way I see the world. I’m going to tell you about them both soon.

On of the first books that had an impact on me was a Little Golden Book about a family of pigs. No one would go to see them because their house was so dirty. They cleaned it up, and then they had many guests. Since I read that book I’ve been paranoid about keeping things tidy. My mother didn’t understand it. She kept her house very clean, but it didn’t worry her if things were left out and not put away. This impact wasn’t anything profound and earth shattering, but that little book did have an impact on me.

Another thing I’m passionate about is animal cruelty. I didn’t know that people were mean to animals until I read Black Beauty as a child. I was horrified that animals could be mistreated. I still am. All of our animals are rescues, and we support our local no kill animal shelter. 

To Kill a Mocking Bird is another book that I think influenced the way I see the world. I felt compassion for Tom Robinson and was shocked that he’d be found guilty at his trial just because of the color of his skin. That still makes no sense to me. 

I’m sure there were many more books that changed my world, but these are the first to come to mind so I’ll stop now. Tell me if you’ve read any books that changed your world view. If so, I might need to try them.


No comments:

Post a Comment