My Books!

Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Beyond the Book: Want a Do Over?

 

I have Amazon Prime, and every month they offer me a new book. I was checking out my choices when this popped up. Curious, I read the blurb for the book and liked it. Here’s the blurb I read.

Everyone wants a second chance. But at what cost?

In the year 2045, an MRI mishap transmits Tabitha Moore’s mind back into her body in the past.

Now it’s 1998. She’s thirteen years old and she has to confront her long, miserable lifetime of failures—and once again being trailer trash—all over again.

…Or, does she?

Experience the story of someone who’s given a chance to redo their entire life starting at the last few days of middle school. This wholesome, heartfelt, and sometimes heartwrenching do-over novel is sure to be your new obsession.

Okay, I was hooked. I think most people really would want a do over, at least for certain situations. I bought the book, and when I opened it to read, I realized that it had over 800 pages! If I’d seen that I wouldn’t have bought it at all. Most books of that length that I’ve read were rambling and just boring. I figured it would be an okay book to read while you waited somewhere, like the doctor’s office, etc. I changed my mind about the book about two pages in. 

This book sucked me in and wouldn’t let me go. I so liked it. When I couldn’t read I felt impatient and couldn’t wait to get back to the story. Tabitha our main character both inspired me and broke my heart.She tried to hard to remedy the mistakes of her past and be someone else. The thing that Tabitha didn’t think about was that if you change one thing in the past you’re in a new scenario altogether, one where you don’t know what the future will bring. One that might in some ways be worse than your original life.

The writing was good, and the characters were well drawn. I liked the ‘good’ ones and disliked the ‘bad’ ones. There were a few times something happened that would never be allowed at a school. The school district would definitely be sued by the student’s parents. I was working as a teacher in 1998, and even then school districts had to worry about law suits. 

My biggest problem with the book was the ending. There were too many loose ends that were never tied up. What happened to Tabitha’s friends? Did Elena forgive herself for bringing Tabitha into a dangerous situation where she could be injured? Did her artist friend stay in touch with her? Did the boy who vowed to his brother that one day he’d marry Tabitha ever move to make contact with her? Did she ever forgive her parents? 

And about that ending. I don’t think it rang true. Her father didn’t understand Tabitha, but he acted in a way that seems contrary to his behavior throughout the whole book. 

So, do I recommend the book. Absolutely! You may like it as much as I did. One thing though, and it’s pretty important. If you’ve ever been badly bullied I recommend you skip this one. There are undoubtedly many triggers for you.

Personally I don’t know if I’d want a do over or not. Would you?

No comments:

Post a Comment