My Books!

Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Beyond the Book: Favorite Scenes

Sometimes it’s hard to pick a favorite excerpt from your work. After all, an excerpt taken out of context might not mean as much to readers who don’t know the whole story. Nevertheless, I think most authors do have some favorites. One of my favorite excerpts comes from the only fantasy romance I ever wrote. The book got nice reviews, but unfortunately it was one of my Clean Reads titles so it isn’t available now. So I’m starting with an excerpt from a book that isn’t even available now. No matter. I kind of like this topic, so I intend to do a few more. They’ll be from books that are available. Anyway, this excerpt comes from a book called The Enchanted.

Excerpt:

Morgane rolled over and faced him. He felt surprised to see

anger on her face. “Why do you torment me, Prince Alan?”

Alan pushed back from her. “I? I torment you?”

“Yes! You torment me night and day. Your face is never far

from my thoughts. In the morning my eyes fall upon you, and my

heart sings to have another day in your presence. We were not

supposed to have a common life at all! I tried very hard to run

away, and you angered your father so much he put you through a

year of torment to bend you to his will.” A little smile came to rest

on her face. “But you did not bend, did you? Nor did you break.

You remained the same man you always were. I know this in my

heart.T

With a suddenness that took his breath away, laughter and

light fled from her face. Bleak resignation and hopelessness turned

her eyes into two wells of sorrow. “If I were as beautiful now as I

once was, then you would find it difficult to turn away from me.”

Her lip quivered. “I know that no man wants a scarred woman, but

I had hoped…”

“What had you hoped?”

“That you could love me.”

Her voice had dropped so low it was hard to hear. Alan

seized her and pulled her against him. “And I do. I do not see your

scar. I see you with your lovely face and fine, spirited soul, and

unless you love me, I cannot go on.”


Does anyone have a special scene they'd like to share?


No comments:

Post a Comment