My Books!

Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Beyond the Book: Pet Sitting

 Have you ever been a pet sitter?

Oh, yes I’ve been a pet sitter before. Bruno and Gunner pictured above are the ones I last sat with, but you have to be careful about pet sitting. Several years ago I was asked to pet sit, and the person never came back for the dogs. They live with us to this day. We love them very much, but they bring the dog total in our house to three, which is a lot.

I really can’t see that ever happening to Bruno and Gunner, though. They are loved and cherished as my own dogs are. They’re nice dogs, but I’m glad they have a good home.

Bruno is the larger dog. He came from the animal shelter. When they got him he was about fifty pounds and about the size of my own Izzy. He had so much love to share that if you pushed him away he’d lick the air in front of you. For years everyone tried to teach him not to jump on people, but we might as well not have tried. He loved people so much that he really couldn’t contain himself. Eventually, he got too big to play with my dogs so his owners decided to find him a friend who’d be about his size. Enter Gunner who was a rescue dog. This picture was taken months ago. Today Gunner is about the size of Bruno. 

It may give you a clue to Gunner’s personality to know that I always called him Little Monster. He wanted to play with me so bad, but every time he did I ended up with scratches that oozed blood. He didn’t mean to do it. He was just so exuberant he couldn’t help himself. He also ate part of my shoe strings when I sat down and didn’t pay him any attention. I warned his owners, my son and his wife, that they should send him for training, but they never did. My son likes him wild and crazy, which I think may be a concern when he’s grown. Gunner makes Bruno seem sedate.

Whenever the family goes somewhere we baby sit the dogs. We have a fenced back yard so we let them out to run and go wild outside. After they calmed down we let them inside where they got treats. Our dogs always get excited so we have five dogs running like the wind through the house. Of course they eventually lie down in one of the dog beds we keep here for them. They’re both loving and sweet dogs. My son asked me if I would take care of them if something should happen to him and his family, and I agreed that I would. If you have dogs or cats yourself you should make arrangements for them too. I have. I know exactly where my dogs will go if I should pass away. 

Sometimes it’s annoying to deal with young, lively dogs, but when push comes to shove, I don’t mind. What about you? Have you ever been a pet sitter?



REPO


 


No comments:

Post a Comment