My Books!

Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Beyond the Book: I Didn't Like This

 You wake up one morning with no water coming in, (water main break at 2 AM). What do you do? 

Actually, I had a similar scenario last summer. We got up one morning after a huge storm the night before and found we had no water. We also had a huge oak tree lying a few inches from our house. It turned out that during the storm the pumping station took some damage, and no one in our neighborhood had water. 

We first called the water department to report the problem, but of course they were already aware of it. They said they had no idea when it would come back on. So, we headed to the nearest grocery store and bought some water in big jugs and some bottled water to drink. My children live nearby, and they both invited us to stay with them, but we didn’t really want to leave home. 

It was an aggravation, but we managed without dreadful hardship. I had no nice shower that night, and I wanted one because it was summer, and not only was the water gone but we had no power either. 

The next morning the water was back, and we didn’t need all the jugs we bought the day before. We gave it to our grandson whose summer job required him to be in the heat all day. I don’t think her wasted a bit of it. 

What about the power? It took several days for it to come back on, but we have a generator large enough to keep food safe in the freeze and refrigerator. We managed just fine, but I will say it was an experience I hope not to repeat.

Do you have stories to share? We’d love to hear them.


No comments:

Post a Comment