My Books!

Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Beyond the Book: She Never Saw That Coming

 Recently I started reviewing a completed novel that’s been sitting on my computer for some time. I still have work to do on my heroine Anna. Anna is strong-willed, hot tempered, and has been known to hold a grudge if she considers herself to have been wronged in some way. This excerpt is the day after she and her husband Jack got married.

Tears welled up in her eyes. “I don’t want to be angry and spoil our honeymoon. It would be sheer bliss to have that nap with you and love you until we’ve both had enough, but how can I? I told you I didn’t want to be a military wife, but you disregarded my feelings and reenlisted without even telling me. If you loved me as much as I love you, I don’t think you could have done that. I’d rather flip burgers forever than leave you, but obviously you don’t feel the same way. You wanted a military career, and the tight economy just gave you a reason to follow your dream. The joke’s on me, though. How could I not have known that the army has you heart, not me?” 

She shivered and rubbed her arms with her hands. 

“Anna,…”

“I assumed we had a solid relationship that could withstand anything the world might throw at us, but I see now that I don’t know you at all. Don’t you realize that our marriage started with a lie? Reenlisting behind my back and not telling me is the same thing as a lie. The man I thought you were would never have betrayed me this way. So, no, I don’t want to have a nap with you. Leave me alone; I’m busy.”

Jack felt as if someone had sucker punched him. Nick had warned him, but he didn’t listen. Where did they go from here? He sat down in front of the TV and started flipping through the channels. 

Okay help me out here. Is Anna wrong in her thinking?

No comments:

Post a Comment