My Books!

Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Beyond the Book: Wish I Had It Back

 What is your ideal work space?

This question is easy to answer. At one time I had the perfect work space, but unfortunately I don’t thave it anymore. I can’t even find a picture of it, but I do remember it well. Let me describe it for you. 

After my first son moved out I, decided to take his room for an office. The room wasn’t too big. Only 10 x 10 or do, but it had everything I needed. There was a single bed that I could use if I needed a little nap to inspire me, and beside the bed I had a beautifully designed computer desk. I’d had it for a very long time. I remember because I was walking through Montgomery Ward one day and bought it on impulse because of the great design. And of course Montgomery Ward doesn’t exit anymore that I know of. I had a very comfortable desk chair. I got it when my husband worked at a community college. They were getting new furniture and gave the chair to him. The room had plenty of light, but not too much, a bespoke book case, and room for a TV just in case I wanted to watch it. 

My husband really liked the room after he saw it. “I’ll bring my computer upstairs too,” he said. It made the room a little crowded, but I didn’t mind sharing. Sometimes he’d run downstairs to get treats for us, and if my feet got cold he was there to get me some socks or even put my cold feet in his lap to warm them. 

Time passed. My husband had to work in Charleston, SC so I didn’t have to share the room. After I retired I didn’t spend as much time writing as I expected I would. I just found so many things that I’d love to do. I also noticed that the room looked a little shabby so I decided to redecorate. I took out the bed, tore out the carpet and bought a nice rug for the floor, and I trashed the old computer desk and replaced it with a gorgeous antique desk and a nice chair. The room looked great, much nicer and prettier than it used to be. 

After a while I realized that I didn’t like it at all. I couldn’t get anything done in that room. My husband said, “If you don’t want it I’ll take it.” That suited me fine I could write in my recliner on my laptop just fine. But now I so much regret that decision. Well, no use to cry over spilled milk. He does a lot of work up there, more than I would I suppose. 

What did I learn from all this? If it’s perfect don’t fix it, and think twice before you give it away.

No comments:

Post a Comment