My Books!

Tuesday, July 9, 2024

Beyond the Week: Getting to Know Me.

 I used to do so many author interviews that if you googled me you’d find a lot of interviews I’ve done. I was interviewed once on the radio and once by a magazine. Times change, though. I haven’t been interviewed in a long time so I thought I’d share an old one with you. I hope you enjoy learning a few things about me.

When did your love for writing start?

I imagine it was that my mother loved books and always had books in the house. I got the idea that I’d write a book too. I was every bit of five years old when I dictated my first book to my father who wrote it down for me. It was a story about Woody Woodpecker who was one of my favorite cartoon characters. I know it was a wonderful work of art because my father laughed the entire time he was writing.

Do you have hobbies that you’d like to share?

One of my favorite hobbies is collecting vintage Christmas ornaments.  The older ornaments used exuberant colors, some beautiful shapes, and were just fun to look at. Some of our newer ornaments don’t seem to have as much personality if you can apply that word to an inanimate object. Shiny Brite ornaments are my favorites. I have a nice selection of them, and I even have some new reproduction ornaments. I have far more than I need, but every single time I see Shiny Brites I have to have them. 

Share with us a little about your family. Married? Kids? Pets?

I’m married with two sons, two grandsons, one granddaughter, and one great granddaughter. It’s hard to believe I have a great granddaughter, but she is so adorable. Her parents gave her a Scottish name because her dad’s ancestors came from Scotland. Her name is Aila, which is pronounced A la.

As far as pets go, we’ve just gone to the dogs. We have three beautiful canines that we rescued from the animal shelter, or from abusive situations. Since our sons are grown and living in their own homes, the animals have become our fur children.

What was your nickname growing up or now?

That’s an interesting question because my mother didn’t like nicknames. I was Elaine, not Lanie or Sugar Plum or anything else. I gave my granddaughter a nickname, though. She was Pookie for years, and I call my husband Little Frog.  

What one thing (modern convenience) could you not live without?

Gotta be an air conditioner. If you’ve ever lived during a Southern summer you know why.

What is something you struggled with when you first started writing?

I’ve been a reader for a long time, and when I first started reading, writing styles were different. Authors had a tendency to tell what was going on, not show it, and even now I have to be careful not to do that.  Modern readers like to be shown, not told.

That’s the end of this interview. I enjoyed a look back, and I hope you enjoyed it too. I’ve never thought to ask, but do you have hobbies, or is your life too busy with writing and books that you don’t have time for anything else?

No comments:

Post a Comment