My Books!

Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Beyond the Book

Has anything about your writing routine changed since you first began?

When I first began writing I got up early every morning, took a walk, checked my email, and spent the morning writing. I didn’t do much after lunch except maybe proofread what I’d just written. It was a great system, and I enjoyed it so very much.

Of course when school was in session I had to go to work, so my routine had to be altered. I’d write during lunch and during my conference time if I didn’t have anything that I had to do. Then, when I got home I’d spend an hour or so writing, but on the weekends I’d revert to the schedule I loved the most.

If we fast forward to 2021, naturally there have been changes. I always thought that once I retired I’d have more time to write if I wanted, but that hasn’t exactly been the case. l suppose I must waste time now, but honestly there are so many things to distract me. I spend lots of time playing with my dogs and cat, including a walk every day that they really look forward to. They get so excited when they see the leashes coming out. I also spend time looking for new recipes that I sometimes try and sometimes don’t. I have a lovely time going to lunch with my friends or just hanging out with them. My husband and I have a nice time doing things too.

So what does my present day routine look like? In many ways it hasn’t changed much. I still get up, walk, and write, but the thing is I don’t do it for nearly as long. Nor do I do it every day. So, is this a good thing or a bad thing?

I’ve thought about it, and I think it’s a good thing. I did spend every single free minute writing, which meant I neglected lots of other things that would have been good and enjoyable for me. Yes, I’m still writing, but I’m now doing other things as well. I have a bit of perspective on things, and it’s done me good.

Authors, what about you? Has your routine changed over the years?

No comments:

Post a Comment