My Books!

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Why I Love Wednesday: Banned Books

Okay, right off I'm going to offend some people by saying that I think some books ought to be banned.  We are a reflection of our thoughts, and if our thoughts are bombarded by dark and twisted material, it stands to reason that we lose a little bit of goodness and human kindness.  I don't want to read a book about some psycho who brutally tortures a young woman, leaving her family to grieve forever.  I'd rather read about someone who loves enough to make true sacrifices for his/her loved ones.

That being said, the first amendment to our constitution grants freedom of the press, and I'd never change that.  If we prohibit free expression, our democracy crumbles and freedom is lost. 

I took a look at some of the books that were on the banned list in recent years, and I've read some of them.  Stephenie Meyer was banned, and I like her Twilight books.  Huckleberry Finn was banned, and I understand why, but it was a contemporary reflection of Southern culture at the time it was written, and I think it should be seen as such.  And I'll never understand why anyone would want to ban To Kill A Mockingbird.  The writing is excellent, and the message is conveyed loud and clear without any undue preaching. 

To wrap it up, I'd say that we should let our own morals and values be our guide when it comes to banned books, and even though young people may disagree with me, I think parents have a responsibility to their children to make sure they aren't reading something that might ultimately be harmful to them.  If it violates your beliefs you'd do well to stay away from it. 

4 comments:

  1. Elaine,
    I agree with you...however, people do have the right to write what they choose and read what they choose. Huckleberry Finn is an excellent piece of literature and says quite a bit about the times it was written in....should never have been banned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur!!! Some books just need to be gone!!! but our constitution gives rights although that is not the intention of it, Lawyers and others chose to twist words to fit their needs and that is why we are where we are today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that some books are the healthiest book or age appropriate. But I don't think someone should make that decision for others.

    Well...except parents. Parents should be able to make that decision for their own child. NOT for other people's children. Great post. I love your honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you Elaine. It should be up tp individuals to choose their reading matter based on their ideas and beliefs. Banning books is just insane. And I loved To Kill A Mockingbird. I have a feeling that will be many peopl's answer.

    ReplyDelete