My Books!

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Beyond the Book: Sausage Making


Hello, and welcome to Beyond the Book, Elaine’s way of letting you find out what her characters are up to after the book ends.  My name is Kara Cochrane.  Elaine told my story in her book Her Kind of Man.  If you’ve read the book you know that even though we live in an agricultural area, my family lived in town.  I worked at the post office and still do.

But after I married Ross who operates a dairy farm, I found that he and his family do things a little differently.  Like sausage for instance.  If my mother wanted sausage she went to the store and bought it.  Ross and his family make it themselves from animals raised on the farm.  (Remember what I overheard the first time I went to make sausage?)

The recipe varies a little depending on who’s in charge, but here’s one I created.  It’s my own original recipe so you may or may not like it.  If you try it, let me know what you think.

Ingredients:

2 teaspoons dried sage

2 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram

1/8-1/4  teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, depending on taste

1 teaspoon nutmeg

2 pounds ground pork


Directions:

Combine all ingredients and add to the pork.  Mix and shape into patties.  Cook in a large skillet over medium heat until done.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment