My Books!

Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Beyond the Book: Old Favorites

This week I'm talking about books I read when I was younger and would like to own now. I have to say that I’m lucky because I still have some of the books I read as a child.

I was horse crazy when I was a little girl, and one of my favorite fictional horses was the Black Stallion. I’d save my allowance for weeks to be able to buy one. I ended up up with probably the first dozen books in the series. I dreamed of being like the hero Alec Ramsey and having a beautiful horse love me. l never got a black stallion, but I did get a palomino mare, and I loved her to distraction. Those books are still on my bookshelf. 

I also read My Friend Flicka and the two other books in the series. They too are on my bookshelf today.

Trixie Belden was another one of my childhood heroines. I thought she had a magical life, and would have loved to be just like her. She and her brothers and friends had all kinds of wonderful adventures. I probably have thirteen or fourteen of those on my bookshelf too. 

I have the entire set of Little House books, and once in a while I actually take one out and read it. 

My book shelf also has a copy of Little Women and several other books by Louisa May Alcott. 

There are a couple of things I went hunting for and actually found. I loved The Sherwood Ring and wanted a copy for myself so I went hunting and found a reprint on Amazon. Score! Jolly Old Santa Claus was the other thing I went hunting for and found. It too was a reprint, but I love it anyway. I used to read it to my grandson. He was more interested in the gorgeous pictures than the text, but we had a good time anyway. 

What I’d really like to find are some of Whitman young adult books that were published in the 1960s. I loved them, but I let them go many years ago. So far I haven’t been able to find any copies of the ones I want. I’m still looking though. 

What about you? What were your favorites and which ones are you looking for now?


No comments:

Post a Comment