My Books!

Saturday, March 5, 2022

Saturday Sample and Weekend Writing Warriors

Today I'm continuing with my current WIP. The book is coming along pretty well, and one day I'll get ambitious and write a blurb for you, but not today. On Sunday when you finish here, you can go to www.wewriwa.blogspot to find more excerpts from a talented group of authors.


Last Week: Alex calls her lawyer.

His receptionist answered on the first ring. “Hi, this is Alex Landers. I’d like to speak to Mr. Green, please.”

“One moment.”

It seemed like less than a moment before Darren came on the line. “Hi, Alex, how are you?”

“I’m not doing too well, Darren. I want you to do something for me, but first let me tell you what’s been happening.”

She concluded her story with words she never had expected to use, not in connection with Rhett. “I want you to find out everything you can about Danielle Frost. I don’t care that she’s dead. Don’t be worried about the cost either. Just get me a history on that woman. I especially want to know if Rhett was telling me the truth, or if he’s been having an ongoing affair with her.” She bit her lip. “I guess you’d better try to find out if Rhett has made a habit of cheating on me.”

Darren sighed. “I’m sorry, Alex, sorry this happened to you. This isn’t exactly my area of expertise, but I’ll find out what you need to know. In the meantime, keep your chin up. It may not be as bad as you think.”

“Uh huh.”


This week's excerpt: Rhett thinks about what Alex told him before their marriage.


Alex left the porch swing and looked out across the ocean. “I don’t think I could stand it if my husband cheated on me. I’ve seen what it did to my mother, and I promised myself I’d never end up that way. I want the whole nine yards for myself, and that includes a faithful husband.” 

She laughed when Rhett joined her and threw her arms around him. “I want a fairy tale marriage that everyone envies. I want to love and be loved in return. I want to grow old alongside the man I spent my life with. I want to sit on the porch and kiss when I’m young because I can’t keep my hands off him, and when I’m old… I still want that! I want to be as much in love on the day I die as I am on my wedding day.”


7 comments:

  1. Well, Rhett didn't seem to remember her words when he was with another woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who doesn't want that? But can he make that promise now? Hmmmmm. And can she trust his answer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes indeed who doesn't hope for that? Excellent excerpt...

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lot of unanswered questions here. I hope it works out for them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sad...but they can recover from this. They can move forward... Good writing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess Rhett didn't remember that part, or his marriage vows when it really counted. It's really hard for me to like him at this point. Does he redeem himself later, perhaps? Great snippet! Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fairy tale. Sorry to sound cynical. She needs to face reality. Marriage isn't always good times, but they have to work together.

    ReplyDelete