My Books!

Saturday, March 12, 2022

Saturday Sample and Weekend Writing Warriors

Today I'm continuing with my current WIP. The book is coming along pretty well, and one day I'll get ambitious and write a blurb for you, but not today. On Sunday when you finish here, you can go to www.wewriwa.blogspot to find more excerpts from a talented group of authors.


Last Week: Rhett recalls what Alex told him before their marriage.

Alex left the porch swing and looked out across the ocean. “I don’t think I could stand it if my husband cheated on me. I’ve seen what it did to my mother, and I promised myself I’d never end up that way. I want the whole nine yards for myself, and that includes a faithful husband.” 

She laughed when Rhett joined her and threw her arms around him. “I want a fairy tale marriage that everyone envies. I want to love and be loved in return. I want to grow old alongside the man I spent my life with. I want to sit on the porch and kiss when I’m young because I can’t keep my hands off him, and when I’m old… I still want that! I want to be as much in love on the day I die as I am on my wedding day.”


This week's excerpt: Eric comes to Alex's bedroom the morning after he arrived in Charleston.


She shut her eyes and pretended to be asleep, but gradually the sensation of being watched was so strong she opened her eyes. 

“I want to show you my mama’s picture,” Eric said. He was dressed in shorts and a tee shirt and was barefooted. His blond hair stuck up at the crown the way Rhett’s did before he brushed it.

She pushed herself up and smiled. No matter how she felt about Rhett she couldn’t be mean to a child. “Well, let’s see it.”

Eric approached the bed and handed her the picture. Good grief! The woman could have been her twin. Everything was the same-the hair, the eyes, the smile-everything. The expression in her eyes was different, but everything else was the same. 

For a moment she almost understood why Rhett had gotten confused. How could two women look so much alike? Curiosity seized her. It would be interesting to see what her lawyer found out about this woman. 

Yes, but probably painful too. No woman on earth would enjoy hearing about the woman her husband had impregnated during a one night stand. 

She cringed. Put that way it sounded every bit as bad as it was.

Eric climbed up on the bed beside her without waiting for an invitation. “You look like my mama.”

She nodded. “I really do, don’t I? It’s hard to believe two people could look so much alike.”

“I know.”

No comments:

Post a Comment