My Books!

Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Beyond the Book: An Interview

Recently, I found a folder of old interviews on my computer. I posted one already, but I thought I’d go ahead and do another one. I hope you enjoy it.

  1. If you were a book, what would your blurb be?  After doing exactly what she should her entire life, Elaine resolved to please herself a little more and not worry about others and what they thought.  In the face of life’s struggles, can she keep her promise to herself?
  • Using three words, describe your voice.  Original, engaging, appealing. (Not to blow my own horn, LOL) 
  • What has been the biggest challenge you’ve had to overcome in your career?  I’m a tremendous introvert, and these days you have to be an extrovert to promote your work.  It’s very difficult for me, but I try.  I recently accepted a speaking engagement from a woman’s club in the area.  I dread it like you wouldn’t believe.
  •  In your opinion, how soon should a novice writer enter the social scene? Are there any advantages to getting into the swing of things early? What about disadvantages?  I don’t think it’s ever too early to make your presence known.  It doesn’t matter if you’re published or not.  You’ll be making friends and contacts who’ll hopefully be willing to promote you later.  As far as promotion of a book goes, I’ve tried it both ways.  I promoted for months several years ago before a book came out, and I did sell a lot on the first day it was available. But overall I sold less than I have on my latest book which I didn’t even mention until it came out.  I believe the biggest disadvantage to early promotion is that people might get tired of hearing about it.  With epublishing and POD publishers you have time that you don’t have with a traditionally published book.
  • Describe for us your writing schedule? Any tips for the novices visiting today?  This is my ideal day.  I get up around eight and have breakfast.  Then I check my email, post on my Facebook page, and then I get down to writing.  I like to write until lunch time after which I take a break to do my errands, etc.  Then, after dinner I work for another hour or so.  For the novice writer I’d recommend setting up a schedule that works and then stick to it.  I think the worst thing a writer can do is not write at least a little bit on a daily basis.

And that’s it. Authors, what’s your best advice to a novice author?

No comments:

Post a Comment