My Books!

Saturday, October 22, 2022

Saturday Sample and Weekend Writing Warriors

  


 Welcome to my blog. Today I'd like to share an excerpt from my all time favorite book Blue 52. On Sunday when you finish here you can go to www.wewriwa.blogspot.com for more excerpts from a talented group of authors. 

Blurb:

"First Lady Kills President Lovinggood" 

December 5, 2018 

Thirty years later, Hank Lovinggood embarks on a quest to prove his mother's innocence and punish the killers who took his family from him. Together Hank and lovely physicist Dr. Kathryn Sinclair confront an implacable, twisted, and merciless enemy who'll do whatever it takes to hide the truth forever.


Last Week's Excerpt: 

Senator Lovinggood finally turned away from his son. His face looked so pale he alarmed Hank. “You need to sit down, Grandpa.”

Senator Lovinggood didn’t argue. He allowed Hank to lead him over to a small bench across the room from the coffins. “I could use something to drink.”

Hank asked one of the guards to tell Sinclair his grandfather needed some water. Moments later Sinclair arrived with two glasses of ice water on a silver tray.

“Here you are,” he said. He shut the door behind him once more.

Senator Lovinggood gulped his water, scaring Hank even more when he saw how his grandfather’s hands shook. “I think it’s time we got home, Grandpa.”

The old senator heaved himself to his feet and shambled across the room to Richard’s coffin. “I love you, son,” he whispered. “Not a day goes by that I don’t think of you. I’m glad I could see you once more before I die.”

Hank thought he had finished with his goodbyes, but Senator Lovinggood turned around to say farewell to Elizabeth also. His voice strengthened; he stood erect and straight now. “I know you didn’t do it,” he assured her. “You were willing to give your life for me simply because he loved me. I know better, and so does he, and that’s all that matters, right? Sleep well, my dear.”

Today's Excerpt: Hank and the Senator leave the Sinclair Mortuary after viewing the remains of Hank's mother and father. 

Today's Snippet

Hank put his hand under his grandfather’s elbow as they made their way to the Jaguar, but Senator Lovinggood scowled and jerked away. “Stop that! I’m not an invalid.”

They had left the mortuary grounds before he spoke again. “The trail’s pretty cold, but even after thirty years you never know what you might turn up if you shake the bushes a little.”

A cool little grin played along Hank’s lips. “Yeah, that’s exactly what I was thinking.”

                                                                   ***

They exchanged a look which visibly startled Senator Lovinggood. If he hadn’t known that Richard still lay in his coffin at Sinclair’s, he would have sworn that his son rode beside him again after all these years. Maybe it was a trick of the light, but just maybe it was a new look in Hank’s eyes, a look that promised justice for his mother and retribution for his father.

Buy Link:

https://amzn.to/2tyWfr0


8 comments:

  1. It's a nice detail that the Senator is startled at Hank's resemblance to his late father. Cool little grins are nice too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good that they are now in accord about starting an investigation. I hope they can get to the truth. The way you describe it its almost like there are three of them on this investigation. Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope they are able to learn the truth of what happened. But now that they've teamed up, I'm curious what the Senator's wife will think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the spark and pride in the senator - jerking his arm away and snapping at Hank. Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting snippet, hope he finds some answers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hank might have meant the touch on the elbow to be comforting, but his grandfather didn't take it that way. Very realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A good twist. I've been hoping that Hank's mother wasn't guilty of killing his father. Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete