My Books!

Saturday, October 15, 2022

Saturday Sample and Weekend Writing Warriors

 


 Welcome to my blog. Today I'd like to share an excerpt from my all time favorite book Blue 52. On Sunday when you finish here you can go to www.wewriwa.blogspot.com for more excerpts from a talented group of authors. 

Blurb:

"First Lady Kills President Lovinggood" 

December 5, 2018 

Thirty years later, Hank Lovinggood embarks on a quest to prove his mother's innocence and punish the killers who took his family from him. Together Hank and lovely physicist Dr. Kathryn Sinclair confront an implacable, twisted, and merciless enemy who'll do whatever it takes to hide the truth forever.


Last Week's Excerpt: 

Hank nodded. He had to. At the moment he couldn’t have spoken to save his life.

The senator cleared his throat. “Uh, I, uh...wondered if you’d like Elizabeth’s diamond too. One of these days you might want to give it to your wife.”

After thirty years, vague, nebulous doubts and fears finally crystallized, and Hank fell firmly in line with his grandfather’s belief; his mother had not shot his father. Several days ago he had accepted the popular view of her guilt, but he had been wrong. She couldn’t have done it. Every distant memory he had gave the lie to the established version of their deaths. “Yes, I want her ring.”

Neither of them knew exactly how long they stood there. It might have been a few minutes, but it might have been a few hours. Time didn’t seem relevant anymore. At this moment, the past really did touch the present. For all Hank knew, the future might have just changed as well.

Today's Excerpt: Hank and the Senator arrive at the Sinclair Mortuary to view the remains of Hank's mother and father. 

Today's Snippet

Senator Lovinggood finally turned away from his son. His face looked so pale he alarmed Hank. “You need to sit down, Grandpa.”

Senator Lovinggood didn’t argue. He allowed Hank to lead him over to a small bench across the room from the coffins. “I could use something to drink.”

Hank asked one of the guards to tell Sinclair his grandfather needed some water. Moments later Sinclair arrived with two glasses of ice water on a silver tray.

“Here you are,” he said. He shut the door behind him once more.

Senator Lovinggood gulped his water, scaring Hank even more when he saw how his grandfather’s hands shook. “I think it’s time we got home, Grandpa.”

The old senator heaved himself to his feet and shambled across the room to Richard’s coffin. “I love you, son,” he whispered. “Not a day goes by that I don’t think of you. I’m glad I could see you once more before I die.”

Hank thought he had finished with his goodbyes, but Senator Lovinggood turned around to say farewell to Elizabeth also. His voice strengthened; he stood erect and straight now. “I know you didn’t do it,” he assured her. “You were willing to give your life for me simply because he loved me. I know better, and so does he, and that’s all that matters, right? Sleep well, my dear.”


5 comments:

  1. Sounds like Hank might not have his grandfather for much longer, unless proving Elizabeth's innocence gives the Senator a reason to fight and keep going. Very moving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting comment from the senator! Intriguing snippet today for sure...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I think the Senator knows a key piece of information as to what really happened.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a difficult situation for them. Emotional and well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The senator knows something if he made that last statement. I hope he tells Hank before it's too late.

    ReplyDelete