My Books!

Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Beyond the Book: Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous

 If you could spend one evening in a multi-millionaire’s home:

1. what’s the first thing you’d want to see?
2. what would you expect to find? NOT expect to find?
3. what could ruin that experience (of spending an evening in a millionaire’s home)? 

1.If I ever spend the evening in multi’millionaire’s home I’d want a house tour. It would be nice to see where such people live. We’re a little more modest in my neck of the woods so it would be a nice experience to see the entire home. 

2.I would expect to find expensive furnishings and fittings and the most up to date home decor. It might or might not be practical. I’m sure people with their means would have no trouble replacing anything that was ruined. There might be collections of art, books, or maybe just pictures of them hobnobbing with other famous, wealthy people. I’m not rich and famous, but I do have a vanity wall with all of my book covers on it so I’d imagine they do the same thing.If they have children maybe that had a famous artist paint their child’s portrait. Maybe they had their own portrait done too.

Truly, I wouldn’t expect a room where they could relax and kick back, a room like our family room for example. It has an old sofa that just won’t die. It’s beat up too so it really doesn’t matter if the dogs jumps up and cuddles beside me. The room has two bookcases that hold our favorite books, but it’s pretty unorganized. We have an old rocker from when I was a child, hand knitted afghans, and a set of three pictures that I love too much to ever get rid of them. I’ve had them since the 1970s. I hope I’m wrong about the wealthy not having such a space. I think everyone needs a room that’s so comforting even if it is beat up.

3.The experience would be ruined if they patronized me. That happened to me once years ago, and I’ve never forgotten it. I wouldn’t be happy if my hosts drank too much or offered me drugs. It’s not much fun to have one person monopolize the conversation either. The evening would also be ruined if I dropped a cracker in the punch bowl. I did that once. I had a cracker in my hand, and the darn thing broke in two and fell in the punch. I still have no idea what happened to make it crumple, but it was awful! My hostess was very gracious about it, but I was so embarrassed. Her house was gorgeous too. She bought an old home built in the early 1900s and remodeled it. She did an excellent job for sure.

What about you? Have you ever spent time with the rich and famous? If so, how did it go


2 comments:

  1. I agree, everyone should have a casual room. I have never known anyone super rich or famous, but my mother had a friend who came from old money. She was a trust fund baby, educated in private schools, raised show horses...all the stereotypes. Her home was large, but humble. Dogs on the furniture. Cats all over the place. I guess she was confident enough in her money that she wasn't trying to impress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right. With her money she had no one she was trying to impress. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete